1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Digital Drawing Pen

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by TOOL460002, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Hello! I've been using the same Wacom pad for at least 20yrs, but it's time to move on. All the threads I found were like 7yrs old so I figure I should ask again.

Wacom has been good to me but I see lots of brands on Amazon. I dont need a draw on screen type tablet. Just the pad type. I know size depends on individual comfort and preference.

My question is should I go Wacom again or is there someone newer and better? It's for photoshop obviously. If it's good the budget doesnt matter.

Thanks for any help or insight you can provide.

48thStreetCustom likes this.
  2. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Sub'd

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I'm not clear on what you're looking to buy. Would you clarify please? Perhaps more details on what you have now?

-Mike

TOOL460002 likes this.
  4. Something like this would be on the upper end of my budget range, although I dont need that much:

https://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Digita...ords=wacom&dpPl=1&dpID=41SmoYkLAdL&ref=plSrch

They have smaller ones and other companies make similar stuff. Basically a pen that has lots of pressure ranges to replace a mouse by drawing on a pad.

The super expensive ones are basically fancy screens you draw directly on. I just need a pad and pen style. I'm used to splitting hand and eyes so no need to waste 500 bucks.

Just curious if any new companies are good. Every time I've checked Wacom had all the good stuff. Now I want one but there are way more options and companies I dont know and cant vouch for ya know?

5. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the additional info.
    The reason the thread caught my eye was I went shopping for a new Surface pen recently and looked for a Wacom device since I know the name and the good reputation.
    As far as pens go, I found several good alternatives to Wacom, but the Bamboo model they make was the best in many others opinions.
    In the end, my comments are useless for what you're looking for. I'm sorry for the derail.

-Mike

6. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Wacom.

7. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    General question because I've never used one... Do they all draw the same? I don't know if i'm using the right term here, but do some "track" better than others?

8. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yes, some do track better.
    I haven't used a pad like we're talking about here, but my Surface with the Surface pen has an amazing response and tracking feel.
    I use it for writing notes. It feels like I am writing with a traditional pen/pencil/marker on paper.
    For fun now and then, I draw with it. Super cool response there as well.

-Mike

TOOL460002 and 48thStreetCustom like this.
  9. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    When I worked in IT in the game software development business, Wacom was a tool of choice for digital art production. In a development environment, you can’t have digital artists wasting their time and talent trying to create content using 2nd-rate tools. I can’t recall a single Wacom hardware failure, ever.

Wacom.

TOOL460002 and 48thStreetCustom like this.
  10. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Wacom was, and still is, the industry standard. There's some great competition, but, all the artists I know (my wife + all her professional artist friends) use either Wacom (mostly Cintiqs) or Surface Studios (these are getting more and more popular).

MJ5150 and OldDog52 like this.
  11. My 20yo Wacom didn't even fail! It just uses an old, obscure connection (com port). Also survived a fire. Glad they're still tanks.

Well. Looks like the consensus is Wacom. Good to know they are still a quality company. You never know.

Thank you all very much. Now to go model shopping!

48thStreetCustom, OldDog52 and MJ5150 like this.
  12. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Zombie threading here...

Has anyone ever used an iPad as a graphics tablet?

13. I remember the concept when I first heard of it in the 90's. I had a graphics instructor who swore by the stylus pad and said that in the future, nobody would use mice anymore. I tried drawing with them, but it was on a pad, and as an artist, divorcing myself from the hand/eye relationship was somewhat difficult. I would be very interested to know what they like now, though.

TOOL460002 likes this.
  14. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    The pad styles take some getting used to, for sure. But there's also a lot that you can draw directly on as well if the pad style ones are a bit much to overcome

15. Well I've been using a wacom pad for over 20 years. It did take me probably a year or so to get used to it. Splitting your focus between drawing outside of your vision and seeing it on the screen is awkward for a while. I almost quit at first. It is frustrating at first.

When I got used to it I was amazed. You need one. Photoshop is not the same without one. I picked mine up and will be using it once my keyboard and mouse come.

Go Wacom. They aren't all expensive. You'll be pleased. Just remember it takes time just like anything else. Itll change how you use graphics.