Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Digital Workstation or not?

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by freddylang, Mar 8, 2005.

1. freddylang

freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    I am leaning towards buying a digital workstation/multitrack recorder. I have used a pc in the past but I was always frustrated trying to decide on one software to use, the mobility of the thing, plugging into it, etc. I am really looking to move away from the pc for recording but still have a pc-like piece of equipment that I can use hand in hand with the pc when I need to. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for this. So far I have looked at the Tascam 2488, Korg D1600 & also the KORG 1200 to a lesser extent, AKAI DPS24, BOSS BR-1600, Roland 2480, and the MOTU software a little bit. My goal is to create a studio that can grow. I am looking to spend around $900-1500 for the recording unit but can extend myself and move up if that's what it really takes to get high quality.

Thanks,

Fred

2. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Why did get de-ja-vous reading this? :)

Freddy asked me the same question via email earlier this week and I couldn't really help him, so I asked him to post here where the real experts hang out. Don't let me down guys..............

3. To be honest with you, I've never been incredibly impressed with these units as a whole. I feel that they run lesser mic preamps which will compromise your signal and I feel that mixing on one of these units is a nightmare. Please bare in mind this my personal opinion.

I looked at units like these extensively in the past. If I were to have to get one, I would probably get the VS2000CD and I would make sure it has the VGA connection to allow me to mix on a monitor. I would go with this unit considering how long Roland has been in the game of making these pieces of hardware and I feel they have come as good as they get for the time being.

4. genderblind

genderblind

Oct 21, 2004
    Montreal
    My Yamaha AW 2816 boasts fat-sounding mic pre's, intuitive operation, and has not frozen once in two years. Reliable and sounds absolutely great, it's no toy!
    I had a Roland VS 1880 before this that froze constantly and emitted digital pops during tracking and mixing that rendered it useless. A really counter-intuitive system as well when compared to the Yamaha.