Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Digitech BP50 -- Toy sent from God?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I brought home a Digitech BP50 today, and I've gotta say, it has got to be the best toy I've ever owned -- yes, even better than the original Optimus Prime that came with the truck thing, or the Ninja Turtles that flip backwards when you press them down.

Some of the presets are ridiculously strange and unusable, but some of them are great! I modified 24, and changed 1 to an Envelope Filter with a little bit of Arena Echo. The OctaPie preset is awesome -- in fact, the Octavider function is phenomenal overall (I've seen that it's the same circuit as the BSW?). There's a compressed chorus preset (13) that works beautifully with the 24th drum machine preset. The drum machine is super-awesome. It sounds great through the headphones. The amp models sound pretty nasty through my Yorkville (an amp model going through a real amp? Baffles the mind) but they sound really nice through headphones. It's even gone so far as to rekindle my desire to get some kind of drum-n-bass jam going with a friend of mine. It's got some GREAT effects on there (some of which take some diggig to get at, but the controls [after a read through the menu] are fairly intuitive). The Detune effect played on a fretless sounds intensely cool -- especially when intentionally not playing "in tune".

I did a search and a lot of people say they wouldn't use it live...I really don't see why. I mean, if you treat it like an "effects pedal" and not a "stompbox" you should be fine. Plus, with the three band EQ, imagine how neat it'd be if you needed a different EQ for the next song but nothing different? No prob, just program it ahead of time, tap the footswitch, and you're onto the next patch.

Overall, a great toy, and a darn good primer on things to keep an eye out for. Another really neat feature is that you can plug any passive volume pedal in and have full access to volume and whammy functions. Neat, neat stuff.

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Yes, for the money, the BP-50 is nearly unbeatable, IMO. I don't have one currently, but that may change. As far as using it live, why not? If I used one live, I'd probably pick two or three usable sounds, and keep them where I could find them instantly.

3. ESP Eden

ESP Eden

Feb 9, 2004
    washington mo
    I use mine as a tuner. Some of the effects are pretty cool though.

4. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I love my BP50 for practicing at home but I would never put it between my Stingray 5 and 2001RB at live gig.IMO it just changes the tone too much when bypassed.It is a great unit for the money though.The tuner and drum machine alone are worth the price.

5. well yea, in general, digital FX suck, but look at it this way, get into a couple of experimental bands someday, and use that pedal, and you probably have six or so banks with 6 patches to use on each? you could in fact take the patches and put them in order like they were patches assigned to setlists (y'know, like this song use this patch, that song use that patch. Most original bands like to vary up a setlist so it'd be logical)

6. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I picked up a new one last week on Ebay for 49.99 I used it live this past weekend. I was very pleased with the results. I primarily used the "Thick Bottom" preset and the sound was great IMO. It was fuller and thicker without being neccessarily louder. The sax player who uses me as his reference point said it was the first time he could feel my notes in his bones from anywhere on stage. As far as the tone being significantly different when bypassed than when not bypassed, I thought that's what they were for? :D Today I will actually read the manual and see what else can be done with it.

7. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Ok, you got me :eek: I'll word it differently.I like my tone better when plugging straight in to my amplifier as opposed to putting the BP50 between my bass and my amplifier :D

8. lol, put it in the effects return jack

9. I just got mine yesterday and only had about a half-hour to play around with it. It's a fun little box but I'm a purist at heart, I'll probably just use it for some very basic, traditional effects. And the tuner is cool too.

I dig it...

10. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    ::thumbs up::

In my opinion... I'd use it live. I've really only got about 3 or 4 settings that I'd use repeatedly. Like this god-awful Fuzz distortion. Although it is kind of a pain in the ass to make sure you hit both buttons at once. In my case... if I were to fail at that, I would end up on my Chorus effect. An alternative to this is to just place all of your settings 2 channels apart... just in case you accidentally wiff on the bypass, you'll end up on a blank channel.

Also... I gotta say that the effect on channel 28 (on the standard setting) is CRAZY! I tried that with my fretless the other day. WOW... I'm totally gonna find a way to put that into a recording sometime :p

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Hmmm, mild G.A.S.

Strange.