Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Digitech Whammy

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Sep 10, 2004.

1. How well do these hold up with bass?

I'm really just looking for something to harmonize things with, and bring up 1, 2, 4, whatever octaves.

Does it sound like butt?

2. doublemuff216

doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    my digitech bp200 has all the whammy functions...its pretty much all i use it for...i LOVE it especially the 6 octave dive bomb drop...it can shift in a lot of different intervals...definitelty pick one up if u have the means :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It depends on which one you get. The original and the reissue are good, but the others (like the II, the Bass Whammy, and the XP100) suck serious tone. For the money, I think the reissue is pretty darn good, and you don't have to blow $400+ for an original that uses pretty much the same guts.

I've tried them all, and I dig the reissue the best. The pitch shifting is smooth, yet retains a gritty digitalness that is kind of the hallmark of the unit. Sure, you can get flawless pitch shifting with a G-Force or something, but that isn't as much fun for some reason. You need a pedal that makes your bass sound like a gremlin. Mostly they track pretty well once you get above the 5th fret, but below that, it's just digital mud; which is kind of cool.