1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DiMarzio Model J series/parallel help please?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by chunger, Apr 19, 2010.

1. chunger

chunger

Jan 10, 2006
    Albany, CA
    Chunger basses by Studio 939
    Hi,

I'm an electronics newbie who up until now has just been following pretty diagrams I find online. I've had a lot of success lately doing series parallel wiring with a push pull pot located at the neck pickup pot for passive jazz basses.

p26820074-5.

I have installed DiMarzio DP123 Model J pickups in one of my friend's basses and we are wanting to try a configuration that lets us select series or parallel for the individual pickups as well as let us do series/parallel globally between the 2 pickups utilizing push/pull pots on the 3 standard knobs so the bass looks "stock" still.

Neck vol pot: push -> neck pup series | pull -> neck pup parallel

Bridge vol pot: push -> bridge pup series | pull -> bridge pup parallel

Tone pot: push -> 2 pickups parallel | pull -> 2 pickups series

I've made an attempt to adapt one of the Seymour Duncan wiring diagrams to do this, but since I don't know much about electronics, there's a good chance there's something fatally wrong with this scheme. I was wondering if anyone who actually knows what they're doing can look this over and possibly point out the problems.:ninja:

p200279722-6.

2. I had the very diagram you need on hand from several months ago.

3781820512_c421120d47_o.

3. Hi,

From your images it looks as if the pickups only have two leads comming from them. If this is the case then I don't think you can wire the individual pickups in series/parallel, only the pair. The pickups will need to have four leads per pickup to do what you want.

Now, i just had a look at dimarzio's site and the specs for your pickups state they are 4 wire but they do not have any wiring diagrams, but they do for the Area J's which are also a 4 wire pickup. I would assume you could use the Area J's with wiring diagram with the Model J's to get what you want. See

http://www.dimarzio.com//media/diagrams/AreaJ.pdf

I've wired my Squire VMF with Area J's to their dual sound diagram which I'm 99% sure is series/parallel per pickup and between the pickups.

Craig

4. The pickups in the picture are not clearly not DiMarzio Model Js. The covers and pole pieces are different.

5. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

DiMarzio pickups typically have 4 wires, 2 of them being factory tied for series wiring.
    I wouldn't recommend your mod for inline humbuckers like these. It's useless most of the time.

6. chunger

chunger

Jan 10, 2006
    Albany, CA
    Thanks for the diagram! Definitely 4 leads on the pickups

p627509877-5.

7. chunger

chunger

Jan 10, 2006
    Albany, CA
    Thanks for the diagram. . . I re-drew it just so I can think about how it works and so I have something with a bit more visual clarity to work from when I'm assembling it.

I feel confident to proceed. Thanks for the help!

p245184179-6.

8. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    Are you going to Star ground this puppy like the other builds?

9. Star grounding is pointless, just ground it normally.

10. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe

Apr 12, 2010
    any luck with this, i'm thinking about doing this to mine too.

11. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe

Apr 12, 2010
    fyi, i wrote dimarzio and got their wiring diagram for this mod:

pj_2ppdualsndv_1pptseries.

12. enemybass

enemybass

Jan 3, 2008
    london
    Im Intriged what would the sound result be like with both pickups linked in series ?

13. chunger

chunger

Jan 10, 2006
    Albany, CA
    wired up the harness based on Line6man's diagram. . . I know. . . it's star grounded and it's debatable whether that helps anything.

p977642759-6.

Fingers crossed hoping it works!

14. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    what was the overall consensus on the wiring you did on this job? also this is a noob question but what difference does a push/pull pot do on the tone knob (obviously both in series vs both in parallel) when you can simply keep both volume knobs pushed/pulled? or is it simply for convenience when not mixing in between one pickup that is series and another in parallel,vice versa.

15. chunger

chunger

Jan 10, 2006
    Albany, CA
    Depending on the pickup used, the push/pull yielded a lot of useful tonal variations. We ended up using a custom Nordstrand NJ4SE in this bass through this harness which gave a better result (does not go harsh and thin when in parallel mode).

Truth be told, the player reports that he is not using any of the "other" options ~99% of the time and goes global series more often than the rest of the configurations, but the options are all useable and they are there. Just a lot of them to choose from and the tone of the instrument in the standard configuration is great.

No harm in trying though. It's a fun way to set up a bass. Recommend the NJ4SE as it is a bit on the "overwound" side and gives a pleasant parallel sound out of the individual pickups.

16. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    awesome info! so you didn't end up doing it with the model j's? i wanted to see how it all sounded once you finished wiring everything up.

17. Ngiau

Ngiau

Oct 24, 2017
    Hi guys.... I have similar wiring on my Dimarzio Model J. I followed the diagram given by DiMarzio, but their diagram has the neck pickup *volume pot turned off when both pickup is in series mode (globally). Anyone knows how I can turn off the bridge pickup *volume pot instead? Attached is the diagram supplied by DiMarzio.

*UPDATE: sorry for the misleading info.... left out the keyword earlier on. I'm looking for a wiring diagram that turns off the bridge pickup VOLUME pot when in series mode (globally)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  18. spo_man

spo_man Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    It doesn't turn off the neck pickup. They are both on in series. It means that the bridge pot controls the volume for both in series.

19. Ngiau

Ngiau

Oct 24, 2017

Hi, thanks for pointing it out. My bad. What I meant was the original wiring diagram turns off the neck pickup VOLUME pot when in Series Mode (globally). I wish to have the bridge pickup VOLUME pot turned off instead. And I can't seem to find the wiring diagram any where. I've asked Dimarzio 3 times and they never responded. So hopefully I can get some answer here.

20. All you have to do is swap the order of the pickups.