Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dimarzio Model One solo?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kazuhank, May 30, 2005.

1. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Can anyone out there tell me what a Dimarzio Model 1 sounds like by itself? Is it super muddy when soloed?

I'm thinking of pairing a Model One with a standard P-Bass p/u, and want to know if it would sound okay on its own or is best used in a biamp setup like Billy Sheehan.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    The big fat humbuckers sound fine on their own. I had my P-bass wired with each one with independent volumes and outputs and I found myself soloing my Gibson EBO pickup on my P-bass a lot. IIRC the Model 1 has even more defenition.

3. Opas

Opas

Aug 1, 2004
    Harrisburg, PA
    It sounds great by itself. You can wire it to a toggle switch for on/off high end cut.

4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Good sounding pickup, big, but not muddy (in series). Can be wired series/parallel/single coil for more sonic options.

5. Monkey

Monkey Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Dayton, Ohio, USA
    I replaced my daughter's Bronco pickup with a DiMarzio Model One, and it sounds great. A big improvement over the stock Strat pickup! It has good definition and is not overly muddy.

6. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Thanks everyone! That's what I was hoping to hear.

7. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    From what I gather, the Model One has a scooped mid resonse. I think that's why Billy Sheehan paired that with the Model P, which has more mids and bass, but less in the high's.

8. duckbutter

duckbutter

Mar 30, 2005
    does it have to be mounted so close to the neck, or can it be put in the neck position of a jazz bass ?

9. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I don't have a J bass here to measure, but the string spacing is narrow on the Model 1: 1 7/8" centre to centre betwen the E and G poles, so it could be placed anywhere on any bass that it fitted the soacing.
    The similar Will Power Middle is 2"

Edit: forgot I had a drawing.

10. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    It could be placed anywhere between the neck and the bridge. Mounted close to the neck, the Model One will "pickup" more bottom end. Mounted closer to the bridge, and it will "pickup" more in the mid range. By the looks of things, it's designed to be mounted closer the neck.