Dingwall FD-3

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Any experience with these pickups? How would you describe the sound? Are they worth the $250 for the set (not a bad price really).
  2. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    bump for any input?
  3. yeah- the pickup forum doesn't get lots of traffic-unfortunately.
    I have FD1s and FDp and FDjs (I believe these are being called Fd3.4's and something else)
    Anyway, the FD (fury/dingwall designed) pickups are a great passive pickups w/ tons of output. The FD3 were wound to bring out a more vintage-y tone, whereas FD1 were more middy and hi-Fi.
    I would say that the FD3 sound like a nice punchy J bass w/ excellent mids and a growly low.
    most people that hear my FD1 equipped Dingwall AB bass think their active pickups becuz how punchy, clear and loud they are. I recently played a AB1 w/ Fd3 and thought how much more J bass like they sounded.
  4. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I "retro-fitted" a set in my Prima that had the original Barts w/ Bart pre. I'm running them with an OBP-3 @ 18Volts.

Flat, these pups sound very warm, natural and "passive", they have that nice, subtle vintage/passive "growl". I get some serious vintage P-bass mojo from the neck pup, it just OOOZES out. Start turning knobs and there's alot of possibilites, from dub to punk to "modern" slap, these pups reproduce and highlite any and all frequencies my bass can come up with. The really nice thing is that the "passive warmth" still comes through.
    So for me the key words are: Vintage(if you want it)-Musical-Flexible

IMO, well worth every penny. If I were building a bass or swapping pups I would jump at another pair.
    (there's also some sound clips on the Dingwall sight, I believe, but I can't link you from here, sorry)