Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dingwall Pricing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sargebaker, Nov 16, 2004.

1. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Hello folks. I've been scoping out prices for a Dingwall Afterburner I six string and to much confusion they are ALOT cheaper to get them from the states. So far I've gotten the best price from Bass Central (also checked at ClubBass and West COastMusic) but I find it awkward that they are cheaper in the states seeing as they are made in Canada, don't need to be shipped to the states etc. Does anyone know why this is, or if I can get a decent price on one in Canada? I've emailed Dingwall and never got a response and everytime I call I get an answering machine. :meh:

Thanks,
    Baker

2. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Oct 3, 2001
    Hey Sarge, this mostly has to do with us getting caught by the huge jump in the currency exchange between the Canadian and US dollar. We are dealing with that now. As I'm sure is every Canadian manufacturer.

3. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA

4. Hey Sarge,

I got killer deals on both my Dingwall basses from Bass Central, and they are great guys to work with. They don't waste any time getting your stuff shipped out either. If they gave you the best price, I would go for it.

Just to back my man Sheldon up. He has always returned every call and annoying email I have ever sent him, and there have been a bunch ;). You can ask anyone who has delt with him before, his customer service is top notch!

5. Yep, pretty much everything you can imagine is cheaper to import from the US right now.

6. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Give this guy a call, see what he can do for you price wise. Is where I got my Afterburner from.

Baron Martin

915-592-4026

Not to dis on Bass Central at all, but they have the same model and color and top bass as the one I have for $1900. I payed $1300 for mine with a case from Baron. So is worth checking on :)

7. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    That's the retail price; no one pays that. In fact on the site it says, "Retail: $1900/Call for price".

8. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    My mistake, well maybe Baron can still give a comparable deal.

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Hey, should you be studying or something?!?!?

:rollno:

BC's northern contingent checks in - good catch, DRC!

:bassist:

10. Dirty Road Cola

Dirty Road Cola Guest

Sep 8, 2000
    Gainesville, FL
    Actually, yes: for a lovely German test.

11. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Ich bein ein Gator?

:bag:

...when you home for turkey? I wanna see a Marchlewski!!!

:hyper:

12. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    Where is this guy located?

13. Byron is located in El Paso, texas.... he used to have a Dingwall/month on EBAY. No idea about what he has in stock.
    he still gotta ship it back to Canada whomever you buy it from

14. sargebaker

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    not if I get it from Canada, hence my reason for looking in the first place.

15. Yes Sarge -
    I understand that..but what if the cost is $200-400different (USA vs Canada), it shouldn't cost that much to ship and clear customs right?

16. Should cost maybe $150 to ship and clear customs (GST).

17. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Shouldnt even cost that much. I sent a package from Dallas to Canada the other day, 25lbs, cost was $24.75 or so. Even Dim weighted I wouldnt think it would be over $100. BTW that was UPS International Standard.

18. Since we are on the topic. Does anyone out there know the least expensive route for shipping ia bass from US to Canada. Anyone have any LEGAL tips on how to cut down on duties, brokerage fees, etc. ? If I have allready paid these things before and I am just sending for repairs or upgrades, do I still have to pay the full value?

Sorry to 'jack your thread Sarge. :cool:

19. Sheldon D.

Sheldon D.

Oct 3, 2001
    Guitars/basses made in North America qualify for duty free - providing the proper paperwork accompanies the shipment.

Canadians get taxed 7% on anything coming up from the US unless it can be proved that it is a warranty repair and is only in the country temporarily.

There is no US tax on shipments going down to the US.

There is no way around brokerage charges unless you live near a border town or send through the postal service. Mail seems to be fine for small packages seem to be OK, but the last bass that was mailed up here took over a month. Postal tracking is pretty lame as well.

Brokerage charges through UPS, FedEX Purolator (I'm not sure about DHL) all run $20-50 for small items and $50-$75 for a bass. With UPS if you ship air, they include the brokerage fee.

20. Yes, but you'll have to pay GST on it up here. I was figuring about $25-50 to ship and then around $100 in taxes.