1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

direct box questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by spc, May 30, 2007.

1. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Bear with me...been awhile since I gigged...
    My amp has a balanced line out, so that goes to FOH right? What if you had an amp without a line out? Does the bass go to a direct box (and that connects to foh and the amps input)? Thanks

shawn

2. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig. Q+
    If the amp has an XLR mic line out.. that can go to FOH... so yes the balanced line out can go to the FOH.. Its best if it is XLR type connector for ease of connection...

If your amp does not have a XLR line out... then the bass goes to DI box,,, the XLR on the DI goes to FOH... the parrallel 1/4" jack would go to your onstage amp..

3. GaryM

GaryM

Jul 28, 2006
    Dundee, UK
    Yes.

4. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Thanks...just double checking...like I said, been awhile...

:)

shawn

5. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    no problem....glad to help.....

6. This is how our church bass Peavey is interfaced to FOH and then thru the Peavey and Carvin speaker for onstage monitoring. (Old amp for sure). :meh:

7. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    So i guess you are using a seperate DI box then???
    Thats all good..and works fine...

8. My preamp (SWR IOD) has an XLR out, and it will be damaged if the FOH turns on phantom power. Others are protected against this, mine is not.

Knowing this, I never allow my XLR out to be used for DI, no matter how many promises the sound man makes. I always carry a DI with me, just in case. Mine is an ancient Countryman Type 85. I want to own a premium Radial J48 but haven't gotten around to finding one yet. The J48 is phantom power only, no batteries.

9. svtb15

svtb15 Inactive

Mar 22, 2004
    i did a shoot out with a friend on a few DI. the Countryman 85 was one along with a Universal Audio tube Solo610, an SABDI, Radial, and some other Active DI....
    They all were really so similar.. If you have a Countryman i would save the money.. You may not notice all that much of a difference to make it worth it..
    The UA had slightly more bottom than the countryman but each had pristine top end..
    I wanted a DI with a sound so i got the A-Designs REDDI tube DI... That sounds different than the Countryman.... but the countryman still is awesome...

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021