direct with a pre amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by matt_dutyfree, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Hey just a quick question... is there anything wrong with using a pre amp (say a TE gp12) to go direct to the board and just use the stage monitors for your ears! to clarify i would be using no power amp or cabs....
  2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    as long as the pre has a di output nope.
    the only other thing to be concerned about is if the board uses 48 volt phantom power. Some preamps can be damaged by this.
  3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Technically it can be done that way; nobody does as you can't separate your bass from the rest of the mix by simply standing by your own rig. In 40 years I've seen exactly 1 band that went all direct to PA, with no backline amps. Worst sounding band I ever heard.
  4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

I know a few guys doing this very successfully, but it'll cost more than a good bass amp does, if we're talking loud rock. You'll need a really good wedge,or better yet, side-fills, with your own monitor mix, or in-ears, again with your own mix.

It's rare that guys don't want more-me in their mix, but it does happen occasionally. If you can live with a mix that reflects the actual band sound (easier said than done), you are way ahead of the game. I'd say the key is to get the whole group to buy into the concept. Low stage volume is your friend. Most of the groups I've seen doing this are jazz acts, FWIW. Many of the acoustic upright players around here don't use dedicated bass amps, and their bands sound just fine.
  5. billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    does anyone know if a yamaha pb-1 preamp or carvin r600, DI's would have a problem with phantom power?
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've gotten by with just using wedges in a pinch, but they usually sound like crap. They're just not designed for good bass guitar reproduction. Work fine for vocals, but I just can't get a vibe from the sound of playing bass through one.

I'd LOVE to have a good in-ear mix, though . . .
  7. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    I play in a new country band and when we use our own PA I go direct from my Bass Driver. Each band member (four piece plus vocalist) has a dedicated monitor mix. I find it works very well for us because we can keep our stage volume under control and the singer doesn't have to fight with a loud band. We have a 32-channel Mackie board with a powered Mackie 18" sub and two powered Mackie 2x15 w/horns towers for FOH and the monitors are powered Mackie SR's (I believe) and JBL Eons. The drummer uses a Galaxy Hot Spot. My monitor is one of the Eon's. The plus with powered monitors is that they have their own level and eq controls. We will be looking into going with in-ear monitors. Those are quite expensive, though!
  8. I have been playing in new country bands since 1997 and spend the last 2 years playing mostly classic rock with some country and newer rock. 3 of the 4 members of my current band are on IEM and loving it. Our setup is pretty quick as you don't have to fight with feedback in monitors. The way I look at it, if the band is serious and about to invest into P.A. and monitors, this is what it would've cost me (in Cdn$):
    - 2 power amps (2 x 1,200)
    - 2 2x31 band EQ (2 x 600)
    - 4 wedges (4 x 600)
    Total: $6,000

With IEM
    - 2 wired systems (2 x 800)
    - 2 wireless systems (2 x 1,600)
    Total: $4,800
    - You still have 1,200 to upgrade one system to a wireless or get 2 stereo 31 band EQ for tone shaping and killer sound.

I already had the amps and the EQs so I kept those and bought my own wireless IEM. The drummer and lead singer bought theirs and the lead guitarist has his own wedge. We control this with an Allen & Heath MixWizard which we also use to run our mains in smaller bars. If we play bigger events, we can rent more mains or just take the split snake's outs to do our own monitors and let the engineer take care of FOH.

I now leave the iAMP800 at home (breaks my heart) and run my bass direct through a Radial JDI. My bass has never sounded so good through the mains!!!