Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Discuss Demeter VTBP-201 preamps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theaterbass29, Dec 15, 2003.

1. theaterbass29

theaterbass29

Nov 14, 2003
    Nashville, Tennesse
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Sadowsky, D.Markley, Spector
    Hi all,
    I just got a used Demeter VTBP-201. Just curious if any of you have tried different tubes. This one has Ei tubes. I have heard of people using Groove Tube, Telefunken, Electro Harmonix and so on. Tell me what you are using.

Also, just curious of your eq choices, 120 or 60, 2 or 4 on prescence. I love this unit. I also have the HBP-1, but it doesnt have the warmth that the older model seems to have. Thanks for your input.

2. Do a search, tons of posts.
    I use the Telefunken smooth plate NOS. Very nice very expensive. I've tried and like JJ Tesla, and EH are also very good. I've got the 201S newer model. I had the H series and sent it back, it was not for me, but many love it. Right now I'm mostly using my Walter Woods Ultra.

3. ivanthetrble

ivanthetrble

Sep 9, 2002
    Orygun
    I just learned this fact regarding Groove Tubes. The Groove Tubes company doesn't make tubes. They buy tubes from other manufactures and relabel them. I use Electro-Harmonics in my pre. Have not been able to hear an appreciable difference in Telefunken, Mullen etc to justify paying 10x more per tube for NOS tubes.

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    This is true, with one exception. They do now make one 6L6 model themselves. All the other tubes they sell, however, are manufactured by somebody else and then tested and relabeled by GT.

5. Chuck M

Chuck M Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    San Antonio, Texas
    I use a shortplate GE 12AX7A/ECC83 in the gain position and a Telefunken in the EQ position.

My hearing is in bad shape but I can hear a difference in every tube type I've tried. I use Stewart Power amps and Eden XLT cabinets.

Chuck

6. theaterbass29

theaterbass29

Nov 14, 2003
    Nashville, Tennesse
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Sadowsky, D.Markley, Spector
    Does anyone know of Ei tubes? That is what is in my Demeter. They sound really good, nice and smooth, warm bottom. Im just wondering what will sound the best. I have tried Electro Harmonix in other tube gear, and they are fine, but I guess I just want the best. Im not sure Im willing to go to the expense of NOS Telefunkens.