1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Discussion - Mythical Bass "Versatility"

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gmstudio99, Aug 30, 2000.

1. ...if you're playing a bass with mythical versatility and mythical sustain, just what kind of equipment do you have? ;)

2. I'm all set, JT, one o'each....just don't got one o'each on one bass :eek: :D

3. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, then you could probably do it. cool, i got a sub!! now all i need are some gigs, and we're set!!! ;)

4. Sure, you sub for me, and I'll sub for you....it'll be fun, you just gotta learn the TOP and Chicago stuff first, gotta make that horn section happy :)

5. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    :D From Fedner Musical Instruments, for immediate release: Our 2001 instrument line will be augmented by the new GMSTUDIO99 Signature Model MYTHOCASTER Bass, featuring a paper mache bridge, actual rubber band strings, no pickups whatsoever and on-board effects such as ToneSuck, JacosFingers, and an AntiReverb unit. Coming to a store near you!

Really, good discussion. I'm glad so many agree that it really comes down to the player more than equipment. Sure, there will always be an "image" factor for those styles that require that. (I, being devoid of image, usually avoid those gigs anyway...) But in those gigs, are you so much a bass player or a role-filler? (Different discussion...)

The example I used above with the Grease pit orchestra dude showing up with a Warlock might be far fetched, but if he could play the part and is easy to get along with, well, he would keep the gig, I'm sure (if I was MD I'd let him in...) And besides, he could use the gig money to get a "proper" P bass, right? ;) ugh...

-GM

6. COOL!!!! GM, when is it gonna hit the streets, and what's the MSRP gonna be??? You think you can get fellow TB'ers a discount????? It doesn't state in the press release what the materials for the body or neck, scale length, number of frets, etc...can you fill us in please? Since it's your signature model bass, how much input did you have in the design? Was the paper mache bridge something you were hands-on in the design and building?? Do you think the lack of pickups is going to be an advantage for all bassists, or is that just something that worked best for yourself? Is there a 5 str...er...rubberband version in the works? If I only have short scale bands, will it hurt the tone to just tie two together to fit, if it's a long scale? Do you recommend Staples or Office Depot bands, and why do you choose the ones you do? Oh, and will the on-board effects unit be sold seperately for installation in other, non-Mythocaster model Fenders, and possibly other manufacturers products?

Seriously though, good topic, good discussion...even with the interruptions and digressions from those two OT moderator clowns ;).....

....slinking back to my dungeon (notice that OT is UNDER all the other forums...).......

7. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    I've come to realize that whatever I played last (provided it was a good bass I played at least 3 months) was the best sounding bass. I went from Warwick to Pbass to Pedulla to Lakland. Each time my band would make comments about how good the previous bass sounded, and I would also be unhappy with the sound. After 3 months, the new bass became the standard.... See where I'm going with this? Versatility has not been the issue.

8. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I dunno, my basses have been pretty versatile. I've used them as hat racks, a lunch table, a soldering table and, in a pinch, I squeek on the high end to call cats! :D

We could probably one of John's as overflow parking.....

9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Most people in the audience are completely oblivious to the tone of the bass. They just don't have a clue. So from that perspective, I agree; versatility is not that important. On the other hand, I do think it's important to play certain songs within a specific tone or range of tones. If I'm playing a Bonnie Raitt blues tune, I like a more mid-rich J-like tone. For some of the country stuff, I like to scoop the mids a bit. While the audience is unaware that this is happening, they have a subliminal satisfaction that the song sounds "right." If I pick a tone that is nowhere near the way it sounds on the original recording, they'll think, "Boy, something doesn't sound right" without having a clue what it is. So I'd say in that regard, versatility is important. That said, I think each of my basses is versatile enough to play a whole gig satisfactorily on it, with the possible exception of the fretless.

10. Now I have a P bass I have no probs. Suits every gig. But my old jazz bass sometimes lacked the whomp...