1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

DIY delay finished

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 343 Salty Beans, May 16, 2007.

1. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    Finally finished something I started months ago, then left aside during my second semester of college.

This is my DIY delay pedal, with some neat racing stripes down it.

Controls:

The foot rocker itself controls delay time, for some fun pitch shifting and precision delay timing.

The left knob controls the repeat volume.

The right knob controls the # of repeats.

The top-right switch is a 3 position switch. It addes resistors in series with the wah pot to lengthen or shorten delay time. Down, it's shortest...around 10ms to about 500ms. In the middle, it's the longest, from about 1.25 seconds to 2 seconds. Up, it's medium...about .4 seconds to around a second and a half.

The bottom-right switch I need to reverse, but it automatically sets the thing for infinite (and/or building, depending on how I set the repeat knob) repeats. I can get this huge wall of delay going.

It's truly an analog delay...the repeats get noisy and lose a lot of top end, especially on the longer settings. A lot of fun, and I will have to experiment before I can get it's true capabilities. I'm quite excited with it, though. :)

Funny build problem...I just finished it tonight, and I got my wisdom teeth out yesterday, and I'm all swollen and drugged up. Tried debugging the thing for about thirty minutes before I realized I had switched jack ground/signal wiring on my input jack.

Speaking of wisdom teeth, here's some funny videos of me on laughing gas shortly after the surgery. I don't remember saying any of this. If you're bored, go ahead and watch these :smug: . Numbers 1, 4, and 5 are my favorites.

Wisdom teeth videos

EDIT: Link should be good now, spanky. Look on the sidebar to the right of the video for the rest of em.

jp8 photos 007.jpg

2. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    That is killer, except for some reason I get sent to my myspace videos instead of yours. :confused:

But yeah, that's a fantastic idea! Really cool. :D

3. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    Fixed the link.

4. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Naked baby pictures? Sex with a rainbow? Hahahahaha

5. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    Stacey = my girlfriend of 1.5 years, friend of 3.5 years. I have managed to hide all my baby pictures so far. My parents have a way of showing them to every girlfriend I've ever had :p

And thanks for the compliments on the delay. I love it, the only problem is I've got no presets or tap tempo (but I'm gonna get a DD-20 for that, I hope.

6. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    lookin' good, beans! congratulations!

7. That's too cool man. I wanna try one.

What did you use for the guts?

Col Monk

8. how much to build me one ;)

I think that's totally killer...and exactly what I would look for if I had cash to blow...

p.s. great videos...

9. jucas

jucas

Dec 14, 2003
    Alberta
    What did the empty crybaby shell go for if you don't mind my asking, or did you sacrifice the wah for the delay? (A quick scan of ebay gave me a bunch of new prices, so not much help)

Really cool looking delay, its gotta be lots of fun.

10. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    I used the tonepad layout, made my own PCB and made a few modifications to the circuit (such as the above switches).

Hahaha unfortunately, it took me about 6 months to build this one, and it didn't even have a waiting list...such is the 18-unit-a-semester whirlwind I call a life.

I came up with the concept when my guitarist was looking at the Moog delay (and all its expression pedals). He said, 'could you build that?' I was already in the process of populating the board, so I put it up until I could find a Crybaby Shell.

I got the Crybaby shell from an eBay auction for a broken crybaby (27 bucks including shipping). I took out the wah guts (except for the wah pot), sanded it down and repainted it. You can also get them from Small Bear electronics (smallbearelec.com), but I think they're $40 bucks there for just an empty shell. The pot was a different value than I needed (100K), so I put a parallel resistor across it (also 100K) to bring it down to the needed 50K value. In addition, the 3-way switch that controls short-medium-long is simply 3 resistors, one off of each pole...the middle one is an extra 50K, the bottom setting adds a 1ohm to that in parallel, and the the top setting adds a 50K to the first 50K in parallel. Similar concept in many pedals, just adapted for use in my circuit.

And yeah, it is a lot of fun :D I keep plugging it in and messing with it, even though I should be icing my swollen jaw :rollno: .

11. Sweet! Could you post the schematics?

12. 343 Salty Beans

343 Salty Beans

Jan 24, 2006
    http://tonepad.com/project.asp?id=51

Tips: Read build reports (where I got my 'infinite repeats' idea), Download PDF. I think he also sells premade PCBs for the posted projects, not sure, I just made my own.

All courtesy of Francisco Pena at Tonepad. Very nice fellow, great layouts. I also have an MXR blue box waiting to be made, as well as a Ross Comp I'm in the middle of for a friend.

13. 18 credits, eh? Yah, busy eh but wait till you start working as a corp whore for the man.......:help:

Anyway, thread subscribed. I love DIY projects, the best part is the long lag in between "work" on the project.

Seriously? :ninja: I can't believe that more delay pedals don't have exp. inputs for delay time/feedback. Too fun....

Thanks again,

Colonel

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 21, 2021