1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DIY Volume Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pi_r_squared, Sep 15, 2008.

1. pi_r_squared

pi_r_squared

Sep 3, 2008
    Sorry if this has been covered. I did a search and didn't come up with anything.

I have a Eden Nemesis N15s amp with effects loop jacks. I need to install a remote volume control, not necessarily a pedal, just a way to turn the amp down remotely.

My bass is passive.

Is a volume pedal no more than a pot in series with the input? If so, what size pot would work well, and could this be put in the 'effects loop'? I don't have any other pedals to deal with.

If I'm way off, and it's way more complicated than this, please let me know.

Thanks in Advance,

-Dan

2. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    pi r round

cake r squared

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The absolute most difficult part of a DIY volume pedal is building a treadle that doesn't suck. In fact if you don't have a CNC mill or a pre-built treadle pedal sitting around, you're really just going to have to buy one. And a defunct wah or whatever for DIY reuse is not much cheaper than a used volume pedal.

So buy a used volume pedal.

If you're savvy with electronics, you can make an LDR "theremin" volume control quite easily, but you have to hold your foot over it constantly and consistently.

There is no benefit to putting a volume pedal in the effects loop. Maybe there's some weird exception out there, but generally no.

4. Yup.

A place to start would be a 25k pot.

I have suggested this a few times before and I got a very grateful PM from a "happy customer." If you drive your input stage then it could potentially be really useful to have a VP in the FX loop.