Do amps ever come back in style?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JazzyJacuzzi, Oct 13, 2021 at 12:18 AM.

1. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    I’m not corvette old but I definitely fit into the category of “old and not lifting this stuff anymore.”

Regarding those folks still willing to wield the old iron, hail satan I guess!

dannnnn and DJ Bebop like this.
  2. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    With that same stone, you also kill the guitar player pointing his amp straight down the middle and creating a corridor where eardrums get shredded when he hits the boost for the solo.
    You also eliminate the problem that you brought a capable amp and carry the venue, but since the stage is tiny, you stand about a foot away from that amp and while your pants are flapping, your ears actually live off the backwash of the rear wall like a bottom feeder.
    You eliminate loudness wars.
    Everybody has their volume set the way they like, and the levels accordingly.
    You can actually hear the singer, because there's no feedback induced by the amps pointing at the mic and the monitor wedges and you can turn up the vocals as much as you like.

I've played more dive bar gigs than I dare to estimate and I've played my fair share of festival stages.
    The thing is, the better the venue, the bigger the stage, the less it matters what you bring.
    Come with a P-Bass and a cable. There is a professional on the FOH desk who will make you sound glorious through the enormous rig. There is another professional who will bathe you in that glory with the numerous stage monitors.
    Stand in the corner of a dive bar, wedged between your amp, the guitar amp and the hi hat, with the crash cymbal ruining your right ear and the Marshall halfstack taking care of the left every time the guitar solo launches after second chorus and you wish you had IEMs.
    It's a bit like a dish washing machine or electric car windows. You don't need them to survive. But once you got used to the luxury, you don't want to be without.

3. Yup, I remember reading that Jess Oliver, the designer of the B15 said there were changes he would have made, I think some of those changes were made in the reissues :)

4. I have one!
    giphy-5.gif

A B15.
    It sits unused :(
    I fire it up once a year to see if it still works. Should do something with it...
    :)

yodedude2 and Funkdified like this.
  5. Slidlow

Slidlow Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Oshawa, Canada
    I have the bass version of this Vox 125 that I bought new in 1982 and at least for me it has never gone out of style.
    IMG_7050.JPG

DJ Bebop and higain617 like this.
  6. Keger Jupti

Keger Jupti

Jul 17, 2021
    Oregon
    Same here, about a year ago, a WT400 in PERFECT condition...$350.00!!! :woot: 2 weeks ago, a Demeter VTBP-201! The tone is all I care about. Different strokes for different folks, but these both sound amazing to my ears.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  7. Tim Craig

Tim Craig Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    I didn’t know they were out of style. Thanks for the heads up.

8. I thought that was succinct and a well written overview.

Nicely done.

9. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    I own at least two amps that many here wouldn't be caught dead with, but they work really well for me, and you can come by them cheap when they come by. As far as I can tell, that's either 1) doing my homework or 2) trusting my ears. You can't be too caught up in what is popular. I've made some of the dumbest decisions of my life doing that. However, it is wise to understand why stuff is popular, whether deservedly so or not. The stuff that is popular because 'XYZ and the ABC' use it should really be teaching you to seek your own bliss, not to cop theirs.

PhatBottomBass1 and DJ Bebop like this.
  10. Good catch.

It’s funny, but the only Marshall sounds I dig are 80s and earlier. The more modern ultra gain stuff isn’t appealing.

11. Don't know that they ever actually went out of style. Some have come and gone for many reasons but the allure of an amp still guides many of us, young and old alike. Although I am at the end of my ride, I still am gigging and insisting on an amp even though I often don't need one.

I have used many, many amps over the decades and for the most part have been able to get a sound I like out of all of them. Even some that are wildly different in architecture and sound. There are very few that I would refuse to use for any other reason but that I can't lift them anymore.

The old stuff is (was) great and the new stuff is, well to me, wondrous. Whether they go out of style or not, I want one squatting there behind me.

Coot likes this.
  12. Analogeezer

Analogeezer

Jul 29, 2021
    One thing I do find interesting is the crowd that says amps are obsolete, or older amps are obsolete yet they play slabs of wood for which the design has not effectively changed in 60 years LOL.

Remember when the Spector came out and "the future was going to be all active pickups". Yeah Pepperidge Farm remembers :)

Analogeezer

13. I have an Ampeg V6-B. It has yet to come back into style.

rok51 and Wasnex like this.
  14. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    Therefore, you are a trendsetter. Someday.

15. I don't think there are enough functional ones in existence for any trend to start.

rok51 and MegaSwing like this.
  16. Analogeezer

Analogeezer

Jul 29, 2021
    Maybe you encounter more "professionals" than I do but short of top drawer touring sound (and those guys started making live sound suck ballz ever since they got lots of power to turn up the bass) my experiences with said "professionals" have been mediocre to horrible.

Last festival gig I did (was a wine festival) and for some damn reason the guy decided our setup (drummer, two guitar players, an acoustic guitar feed, an electronic drum pad feed, and my bass DI) was too complex or something and starting pulling out all the mic cables out of the stage box and rearranging them.

Two weeks before the gig I had sent the guy a stage plot, with the inputs needed, how many drums in the drumkit, etc. with additional information, set lists, etc.

He had things so screwed up I had to go to the mixing station during the break from our first set and straighten his **** out.

Not as bad but similar experiences with a large venue (1,000 seats) opening up for a national (well one was international, albeit with only two of the original members). Two separate gigs, about three years apart, two different bands I was in.

Sure you get the short shrift as the opening act but you also get the house guys who should know their system and their ****.

So maybe your experiences in Germany have been more professional or you are dealing with a higher quality of venue.

I can't imagine depending only on IEM's in many of the situations I have encountered.

Analogeezer

17. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Bill Hughes said the same thing about the SVT... and the change to 6550's was one of them!

My experience is quite different actually, and I spent 40 years at FOH and as a TD/PM. In fact, I would say that at my level at least, the quality of sound guys is MUCH better than in the good 'ol days.

18. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    It seems like Orange Amps were fairly common sights in footage from the late 60s and early 70s of various bands - Black Sabbath for example. I came up in the 80s and 90s and never saw anyone playing Orange Amps until the early 00s when they were suddenly (at least to my anecdotal experience) en vogue. I certainly don't remember seeing Orange amps in Musicians Friend or at music stores until the early 00s anyway. I'm sure some of you are going to be able to cite numerous examples of 80s and 90s players using Orange, but I'm only saying in my experience, it seemed like there was a 20-something year gap its visibility.

agedhorse likes this.
  19. Doug P

Doug P

Nov 26, 2008
    StereoPlayer likes this.
  20. Reedeaux

Reedeaux

Sep 17, 2021
    TexLa
    Evidence indicates that Trace is still very popular, in that there are none to be found.
    Especially the UK made models...

PhatBottomBass1 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021