Do amps ever come back in style?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JazzyJacuzzi, Oct 13, 2021 at 12:18 AM.

1. LanEvo

LanEvo Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Manhattan
    I’ve rediscovered Demeter preamps and Bag End cabs … like the ones I used to lust after in the mid-‘90s. And I’ve got a soft spot for old peavey heads/combos, even though I never really gave them much respect in the ‘80s.

MegaSwing and DJ Bebop like this.
  2. J-Bass RMR

J-Bass RMR Supporting Member

For me, they do, or could;
    I bought a used V4B in the early 80s. All it did was blow up. The store I got if from was great, but they'd fix it, and it would blow again. That was it for me and tube amps for about 20 + years, when i got an SVT.
    5 years ago I got the V4B Reissue. Maybe it never went away, but it sure seems like the V4B has had a resurgence the last 10 years or so.
    In the late 80s, I got a GK800RB. I moved on to an SWR from there, and I don't see the SWR coming back (at least not in "my world") but there seems to be renewed interest in the GK800RB, and I'd love to try the reissue.

Then again, I've never been as close to the sound I want as I am now with my Aguilar, Genzler and Mesa gear.

3. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    Don't create no problem, won't be no problem.
    Maybe
    upload_2021-10-13_21-54-52.png

DJ Bebop likes this.
  4. Erik herman

Erik herman Gold Supporting Member

I really enjoy my Acoustic 370/301 and it looks super cool!
    I also have a Peavey Super Festival 800B
    And a GK 800RB
    As far as they all go, I think they definitely hold up today and they definitely have come in and out of style.
    I also have my trusty Darkglass MT900 and a Fender Super Bassman that are definitely what I would consider both modern classics
    Even though I’ll most likely take the Darkglass out, the others for sure each have their own undeniable flavors that only they can pull off

DJ Bebop likes this.
  5. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Dec 13, 2013
    On a Hill
    I have a 90's Minnesota Eden Metro, great EQ, warm, punchy and will drive a 2 ohm load...the 'enhance' knob can work wonders with some basses like 'mudbucker' Gibson & Epiphone..... but mostly i leave the enhance in the middle as do others but there are a LOT of tone shaping possibilities overall.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  6. J-Bassomatic

J-Bassomatic

Mar 30, 2017
    Canton OH
    This pretty much says what I know too. I have a LAB4 that if I could get it repaired I would happily use it. Hell, when I bought it I didn't even know it was a solid state amp (late 1980's) or I might not even have purchased it. It got loud enough and that was that. (I'm stupid that way) The LAB4 had a fan that was pretty loud so I unplugged it (it had a 120v plug on the back of the amp) for some quiet time while working out some arrangements and when rehearsal time came I forgot to plug it back in and I think the heat caused some damage. I had an SVT before that and just wanted an amp that sounded like it.

Now I have a Rumble 800H. Sounds fine.

I'm stupid that way.:)

7. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Might be that FOH is run a bit tighter over here - but when I said festival, I actually meant music festival, where the music is the main act and people come because of it. I don't know how it is in your place, but when you need FOH for a 1000+ people open air festival, then you know you can't tinker around with what you and your mates have sitting in the garage.
    You know you will have to rent from professionals.
    They will ask how big the festival is and choose the FOH system accordingly.
    These people will usually not send FOH equipment of that size without someone to run (and supervise) it, unless you can somehow prove that you're capable of doing that yourself.
    This eintails that music festivals usually have good people manning the desks.

Our band contract specifies that the FOH system must be 'adequately sized' and up to the task. One of us actually does a lot of FOH on the side and owns very good gear, ranging from a 15" active sub with two 12" satellites that can do a bar all the way up to line arrays and 18" subs that can do open air gigs for 3k people.

When we reach a place and the house system looks and sounds like something they dragged in from the dumpster, there are two options:
    1. We bring in our system (for $$$, obviously).
    2. We turn around and walk.

It is easy for this band, though. Our drummer plays electric. There simply is no way around proper PA support.
    With acoustic drums, electric bass and guitar(s) and amps on stage, you can simply run the vocals only through a crappy system and somehow wiggle through the evening.
    With electric drums you need a PA that can do the whole drum kit. That PA will also be able to do everything else.

8. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Might be that FOH is run a bit tighter over here - but when I said festival, I actually meant music festival, where the music is the main act and people come because of it. I don't know how it is in your place, but when you need FOH for a 1000+ people open air festival, then you know you can't tinker around with what you and your mates have sitting in the garage.
    You know you will have to rent from professionals.
    They will ask how big the festival is and choose the FOH system accordingly.
    These people will usually not send FOH equipment of that size without someone to run (and supervise) it, unless you can somehow prove that you're capable of doing that yourself.
    This eintails that music festivals usually have good people manning the desks.

Our band contract specifies that the FOH system must be 'adequately sized' and up to the task. One of us actually does a lot of FOH on the side and owns very good gear, ranging from a 15" active sub with two 12" satellites that can do a bar all the way up to line arrays and 18" subs that can do open air gigs for 3k people.

When we reach a place and the house system looks and sounds like something they dragged in from the dumpster, there are two options:
    1. We bring in our system (for $$$, obviously).
    2. We turn around and walk.

It is easy for this band, though. Our drummer plays electric. There simply is no way around proper PA support.
    With acoustic drums, electric bass and guitar(s) and amps on stage, you can simply run the vocals only through a crappy system and somehow wiggle through the evening.
    With electric drums you need a PA that can do the whole drum kit. That PA will also be able to do everything else.

9. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    I have used an active bass into a DI into my party band's digital board for years now - no amp, just a hot spot monitor for vocals and keys.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  10. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Real festival rigs are always wet rentals with a system engineer and support crew. I have never seen a dry rental for real rigs used at real festival gigs. That’s the industry I lived in and made my living in.

shoot-r, DJ Bebop and ElMon like this.
  11. Yes! Get ahead of the curve while you can and pick up a nice SWR Redhead.

steelbed45 likes this.
  12. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    The same thing that kept me away in the 90s would keep me away now. Even for a 2x10 combo, it was plenty to wrestle with, a big clunky boulder with a pair of handles. Everything does have its devotees, however.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  13. Howard-Open.jpg

Ok, I've got it set up.
    Here's the keys, I'll be back in a few hours to pick it up.
    car-keys-car-gift.gif

:)

agedhorse likes this.
  14. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I think it could be said, that among it's aficionados the Ampeg B-15N has never really gone in and out of style in the used market. There was a time when you couldn't get repair parts, but that was

long ago. The number of B-15N's for sale here on Talkbass and Reverb, tells the story for better or worse. Just my take however.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  15. Excuse my lame attempt at humor.

MegaSwing likes this.
  16. MegaSwing

MegaSwing Your Obedient Bassist® Gold Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2002
    Baltimore, MD USA
    But you know there’s somebody somewhere with a garage full of them.

17. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

An amp that sounds good is always "in style".

And who cares? You're the bass player, you make this decision.

MegaSwing likes this.
  18. Guitar = Lo-Fi / Bass = Hi-Fi

Many guitar amps recycle, but few Bass amps will other than tube amps, in general. If you are a tube player, there is no substitute for what you like!

Orange, Hiwatt, Trace Elliot (Ashdown) are all BRITISH amp companies that have had various distribution situations over time. What may appear as a comeback is only due to availability in the domestic US market after the "British Invasion" at some point in popular music. If you love Trace Elliot, you know the slam and the tone...

Big speakers...I was talking with ISP the other day about their D-CAT amp (not an engineer, here) and 1 x 18" + 2 x 8" Vector Pro 1000 watt cabinet and the BETA preamp. Appearently, Stanley Clarke is a fan boi...! There will always be players looking for an edge, while others will roll with the fad d'jour. Steve Lukather also has a sub-guitar cabinet with ISP.
    3e76faaf-7495-4aa9-b63d-003a1dc93a7a_a02ca27c-d35c-45b2-ab48-4d9f1278b508_large.jpg
    (Tom Bowlus is also a fan...its nice!)

I play with a couple of very good 7 string melodic hard-rock guitarists that will not go the way of a Helix or similar. A PRS Archon and MESA cabinets are what they play. They don't want a Class D sound around. I'm more than happy to oblige them. I love tubes as much as they do and don't mind lifting smart and using the casters.

Here is a pic before I started to customize the sound with a separate distortion signal path with the ISP BETA Preamp.
    1002211857.jpg
    Tone is where you find it, when you are able to find it, however you go about finding it! :cigar:
    1009211423.jpg
    I've replaced the TE GP11 Mk V sound with the third generation SM/SMX Pre-Shape #2 off this "vintage" TE SM7 EQ Preamp Pedal. I prefer it especially with the 3 x 12AX7 Flat Response Valve Preamp section on the VA350...!

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021 at 10:46 PM
    StevieMac and DJ Bebop like this.
  19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Nope. There was a brief time when SLM wasn’t making them, but it was only because they had just bought Ampeg from MTI and had to tool up and get a solid design happening. Otherwise it’s been produced continuously since 1969.

20. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Well, there was the period of MTI Japanese SVTs, then from 1990 to 1994 the SVT-II replaced the original altogether. The SVT-CL arrived in 1994 but with a significant redesign of the original preamp, dropping the second channel. Then production moved again to Vietnam. If you want to call that "continuous", OK, I'll accept that.

Wasnex likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021