Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do bassists seem to be the biggest gear geeks?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Juniorkimbrough, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    to me it seems that bassists always seem to be the biggest gear geeks compared to everyone else in a band.......guitar, drums, etc..

What do you think? Are we the most obsessed with our gear?

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Guitarists seem to be more obsessed. But we have a lot more boutique gear.

3. I think basing the gear lust of most bassists by the players from TB will not give you a clear demographic. Alot of bassists out there are happy with one bass and a trusty standby amp.

Every instrument has the potential to clean out your pocketbook real quick. Guitars definitely do, we all know that. Keyboards have a ton of outboard gear that you can spend a mint on. I think it just depends on the player.

4. spc

spc

Apr 10, 2004
    South of Boston
    Don't horn players spend megabucks as well?

5. Bassossorus

Bassossorus

Oct 21, 2004
    CHICAGO
    Also with bass-
    it seems to be evolving at the quickest pace- for several reasons.
    - Its just a baby in the instrument world (what 60 years?) There are so many types of basses when you think about it too- fretless, 3-10 strings and beyond, strings in groupings, alternate tunings, etc. etc......bass is really starting to evolve in many cool ways.
    - In terms of amplification, bass frequencies are harder to project clearly when compared to guitars, so people are constantly trying to find "that" perfect combo for them. Now days it is all about how light can you get while maintaining that perfect tone....hard to do, but it is getting better and better.

with guitar, equipment is naturally lighter, smaller, and much easier to deal with. I think that bass requires a lot more attention in some ways, which is why gear plays such a big role. Just my two cents.... :cool:

6. Supernova67

Supernova67

Jun 21, 2005
    Michigan
    Dude your on a site called talkbass, which discusses basically every aspect of bass playing (other players, techniques, GEAR, ect.) down to the smallest little detail. What do you think? :D

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    My main axe is trumpet. Although I play on $200+ mouthpieces and a vintage horn, I really don't see other horn players paying big bucks for axes. IMHO, horn players tend to "grow" into horns....

:)

8. Violin and cello players pay much more than any bassist does on an instrument.

9. paz

paz Banned

Jun 26, 2001
    Seaton, Devon, England
    yeah, but might be because none of us can buy a 200 year old bass can we! :smug:

10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    my old intermediate sax cost more than either of my boutique basses.

11. I think it is hard to generalize. I think there are gear obsessives in every area. Mandolin players pay $25,000.00 for a new Gibson, Celloists pay thousands for a bow, jazz drummers obsess about getting the right ride or a vintage K. It goes on and on. Browse places like mandolincafe or cymbalholics and you can find gear heads just as "out of control" as any bassist.

12. Haha, only URB'ers I guess.

13. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I think being a gear geek means hoarding large collections of instruments, amps, effects and accessories. I think we can all admit that bass players are bad, but guitarists are worse. That said, I am both.

14. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My starter poop trumpet cost more than my musicman.

15. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Recording geeks and electronic music artists are the biggest gear heads, hands down. Maybe not in terms of $$$ but definately in terms of variety and sheer number of thingies owned for the simple purpose of make sounds.

16. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Keyboardists do pretty damn well on this too.
    Synth buffs get into their crap like no tomorrow.

17. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I would agree wholeheartedly with that statement.

Having said that, considering guitarists collect Boss pedals like Pokemon, I would say that bassists are pretty tame compared to them and synth players, as mentioned above.

18. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Man, is this ever the truth! Our keyboardist and I are the biggest gear geeks in the band, but the drummer and guitarist aren't too far behind...

19. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    I'm really bad with knowing which gear I want, but my friend that plays drums is insane, he gets new cymbols and heads every month or so. funny thing is he's only used one pair of drumsticks throughout highschool. (third year now), including band class and everything. that being said. he and I go through stuff fast just because we play ridiculously hard. (why the new head, and I got through strings like my cousin goes through weed)

20. I'd say drummers. My drummer blows all his money on symbols and useless cowbells and the like. You can never have too many varieties of cowbell and vibraslap.