Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

do i get points for resourcefullness?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KSDbass, Jul 23, 2005.

1. KSDbass

KSDbass

Mar 25, 2005
    atlanta
    so the story is, i was less than satisified with the tone of my Old old old broken ****ty Rogue SX100B into my rumble 60 watt. So I tried to hook it up to my dads marantz tube amp which goes to some old Polk audio 200 watts. well, I couldn't find an in jack, and I didn't wanna break it so, I grabbed my old TEAC AG-1000, and put it on top of my 60 watt. now comes the resourcefulness. It had no in jacks, so i grabbed the RCA to 1/8 jack from my moms XM radio, then grabbed a 1/8th to 1/4th adapter, and hooked it up to the back of the amp. the only problem is, I have no idea how many watts the amp puts out (hehe), I don't know if I'm plugged in the right place, and I don't wanna mess up the amp(resistances are all matched up though) so yeah, now this is one of those stories where it sounds awesome before you start, and it gets less and less awesome as you talk....dammit.

2. so, you used a couple adaptors?

fairenough, aslong as it works, dunno what that will be like with a high wattage going through it

3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    DONT DO IT! The RCA in on the back of your amp is for a line in, not a powered signal. And once you blow up your little combo, you will ruin the head because its tube and the resistance will be (I think) really screwed up and melt the plates. You need to connect the head to a speaker, not an amp!

Edit: After reading again, are you planning to plug in the out of your dads amp into your little speaker? Or are you trying to plug your bass into your dads amp? I'm confused... :confused:

4. Yeah it got me too, im not really sure what he's meaning, maybe if he did some bullet points it would help ?

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    a couple months ago I was at a ukrainian party at a local ukranian church (immigrants to the USA, no offense!!!) and the band had to play with what they had and played a half size casio keyboard through and custom PA system mixed with peavy PA speakers, the bass was powered by a 4ch KUstom preamp in to some Fischer home stereo speakser and the drummer had a cheaper, but adult size drum kit snare, kick, tom, HH and ONE cymbal!!!. sounded o.k. loud enough for the auditorium.

after a few drink I didn't really care what equipment they were playing!!! VODKA!!! and cheap beer.