Do I need a DI box?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by rallie, Oct 1, 2005.

1. rallie

Aug 28, 2005
    Hi everybody.. I've got a simple question: when do I have to use a DI box?
    I mean.. if I go into the PA with the balanced output of my amp, do I have to pass through a DI?

and if I enter directly from the bass?

and what about entering through a Pandora/Pod/VAmp?

thank you guys!

2. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    i think if you have a good xlr out on your amp, you don't really need it. But if you think you may get a sound you like better from a sansamp or pod, try it out. I used to use my sansamp always over my SVT5 direct out. It was much easier to tweak the sansamp and leave it.
  3. I carry a Countryman Type 85 DI at all times. This DI works great on passive basses, much less so on active ones.

Most sound guys want to use their own DI, because they know how it works with their system. I do not let sound guys hook into my XLR/DI on my SWR IOD because of potential for destruction. If the sound guy applies +48v phantom power, my SWR is smoked. "I'm Sorry" is a piss-poor response to smoking your amp. Many lesser consoles have global +48v phantom power, so it is either on or off for all mic channels. If a single condenser mic is used, then phantom must be turned on. Risk is high.

There is a huge difference in tone between going DI vs the typical speaker micing technique. The coloration of the amp and speakers is bypassed, and only the "sound" of your bass is sent to the PA.
  4. Monomer

Jul 22, 2005
    I always carry an IMP2 with me.
  5. If your DI on your SWR was designed properly 48v phantom power won't affect it one iota. all it takes is a couple of simple DC decoupling capacitors
  6. Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    ...and two diodes...

Even though it is so simple to fix, a shocking number of amps can't withstand phantom power.