1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do I need a DI?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by benchpress11782, Nov 19, 2019.

Tags:
  1. benchpress11782

benchpress11782

May 23, 2007
    HELP WITH GEAR SETUP

My church is going wireless. Do I need a DI (sansamp) I don’t use any amp. I go active bass- volume pedal- tuner- ( sometimes delay or reverb)-wirelessly into house.

#2. Playing a solo using stereo reverb and delay. Is this to difficult to accomplish using pedals with stereo outs? Or keep it simple with mono. Using strymon pedals. Thanks for any help

2. #1 Are you saying you're using a wireless transmitter from your reverb pedal to the FOH mixer? If so, it depends on the FOH board. If the mixer can accept an instrument level input then you don't need a DI. But, if the mixer only accepts mic level signals then you do need one between the wireless receiver and the FOH mixer.

#2 Not difficult, but you will need to send 2 signals to the board. Also, you need to be sure FOH is running in stereo, since FOH is run in mono more often than not.

benchpress11782 and s0c9 like this.
  3. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    The first question depends on the wireless unit. Many wireless units have both 1/4" and XLR outputs. Typically if the unit does not have XLR you would use a DI unless the 1/4" is balanced and line level.

For live playing you would probably be wise to stick with mono effects. For stereo you will need a second wireless unit. If you have the available wireless units, and available channels on the mixing board, most audio techs will still want to run the bass mono. A lot of people run the entire PA mono.

benchpress11782 and Zbysek like this.
  4. benchpress11782

benchpress11782

May 23, 2007
    Thank you everyone. How will strymon stereo delay sound in mono?

5. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Given that most PA's are not true stereo.. most of the audience will never know.
    Even if you send 2 channels to FOH, in a church setting they probably won't even pan them !! :eek:

Wasnex likes this.
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    what does that mean?

the church is getting wireless guitar units for the players to use, like the wireless beltpack will be on your guitar strap?

because going wireless from after the pedals to FOH is not really a thing, that's pointless.

or are you talking about wireless IEMs, a totally different thing?

Downunderwonder likes this.
  7. benchpress11782

benchpress11782

May 23, 2007
    IEM and wireless out of guitar also. I have 2 transmitter. One for IEM and other for bass signal

8. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    DI investment is never a bad one.

/

Zbysek, benchpress11782 and s0c9 like this.
  9. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Your bass signal will go from the wireless RECEIVER (the transmitter is on your belt) to somewhere.. that might be a DI (or some EQ processor) before the church stagebox or it might plug directly into it.
    For the IEM's you have the RECEIVER (with volume control) on your belt. IT might come from an Aviom mix, or it might be something that FOH mixes before they send it to you.
    We NEED more details on your setup before definitively stating whether you need a DI or not... never hurts to have one tho' :)

benchpress11782 and Wasnex like this.
  10. benchpress11782

benchpress11782

May 23, 2007

Ok. All I know is that at the end of my pedal chain. In the line out that I would insert a 1/4 cable and feed other end into amp, instead I insert 1/4 cable from a shure wireless receiver. I leave it on the floor when I play
    My IEM are wired to a shure transmitter on my strap.
    That’s it. Just seems weird that this method can capture my True Tone. I appreciate your help.

11. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

If your sound is getting everywhere it needs to go, you don't need another DI.

s0c9 and benchpress11782 like this.
  12. benchpress11782

benchpress11782

May 23, 2007
    I’m sorry. What does that mean?

13. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    You described a situation where your bass signal already seems to be routed to the mixing board and your IEM signal is already getting to your ears. Where else does the signal need to go?

benchpress11782 likes this.
  14. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    what? no!

the wireless goes into the front of your pedalchain, in your case into your volume pedal. it replaces the cable between your bass and your pedals.

the last pedal in your chain gets plugged into the same thing it was before, and amp or straight to the PA or whatever.

15. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    and all that has nothing, nothing to do with your in-ears, that's a totally separate system.

16. benchpress11782

benchpress11782

May 23, 2007

No I don’t think you understand. It is not one for my bass to run wireless. It is just to send my signal back to the house

17. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

If he hears bass in his IEMs they are not totally separate ;).

From post #10, this is the signal routing: Bass>effects>instrument wireless transmitter>instrument wireless receiver>mixing console>IEM wireless transmitter>IEM wireless receiver>IEMs.

If this is accurate, the signal path is complete and no DI is required.

benchpress11782 likes this.
  18. benchpress11782

benchpress11782

May 23, 2007
    Meaning bass - cable - volume pedal - etc

19. benchpress11782

benchpress11782

May 23, 2007

I’m just saying, Is this good enough for my signal to go wireless?

20. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Without knowing the specific gear and how it is connected I can't say. But in general, if it sounds good, it is good. Use your own ears.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021