1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do I need a "good" bass for auditions?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Yonni, Dec 2, 2019.

1. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Nobody is saying that a $10k Fodera is necessary, but when a Fender P bass can be had for under $800 - go ahead, don’t show up with one. It’s like not dressing up for a job interview. Sure, you may have skills but your first impression is that you’re a contrarian. Why make it difficult for yourself? If you’re going for the audition, you’re interested in the position.

Yes. You need good gear. It doesn’t have to be super high end, but it needs to look the part, sound good and be reliable. Stack the deck in your favor.

Bassdirty, Yonni, mcnach and 3 others like this.
  2. fabubass

fabubass

Jan 13, 2006
    Great Reply!!

Yonni, Eddie LeBlanc and lfmn16 like this.
  3. Planespotter

Planespotter

Oct 11, 2015
    Seattle
    The short answer is yes.

Yonni and lfmn16 like this.
  4. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    And you can miss out on a good band by your refusal to recognize the realities of the audition process.

Sometimes people just need to be educated. There's not always malice involved in gear snobbery. I really don't see it as any different than any other thing I don't agree with people about. I've played with people who are on the other side politically. I don't know why people get so militant about gear choices.

I don't think we're going to come to agreement on this issue, but I do appreciate your civility.

dalai lama.jpg

Rezdog, ajkula66, Yonni and 2 others like this.
  5. Sometimes yes. Sometimes no.

I took some harsh feedback when I was a beginner and didn't have $. Got some really nice gear after I got a job and somehow was pissing the same guys off because they thought I was trying to be better than them.

One "band" "leader" (there was no band, LOL) asked me what gear I used. I had just scored a Peavey Cirrus custom shop 4 string with a Kahler trem. I was stoked about that bass. I tell him about the bass. "NO beginner gear!" I explained that it was a USA made custom shop bass and a little more expensive than a USA Fender. Again, "NO beginner gear!" Then he hung up on me.

Incidents like this bothered me until I realized that many of these bands weren't actually bands. Many of these guys didn't get a band formed or get out of the basement.

byacey, Yonni and MynameisMe like this.
  6. fabubass

fabubass

Jan 13, 2006
    If Jaco showed up for a classic rock/oldies gig, I'd show him the door!

Yonni, MynameisMe and lfmn16 like this.
  7. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    If they ever ask, just tell them it is a custom shop fender jazz bass that was made for your for $$$$$.

BeefPie84 likes this.
  8. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    You said what I've been thinking, but unable to put into words.

standing-ovation.png

Yonni and Eddie LeBlanc like this.
  9. fabubass

fabubass

Jan 13, 2006
    Right ON! Can't go wrong with one of these!

Attached Files:

MynameisMe and alanloomis1980 like this.
  10. Afc70

Afc70 Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2004
    Northeast Arkansas
    Speaking from experience, you definitely want to show up with nice gear, not junk. As was previously mentioned, it doesn’t have to be super hi end boutique, (like Fodera)but you want to sound good & make a good impression during your audition. Having good gear says a lot... How you dress, being on time, (obviously being able to play well)
    your personality, all ties in (usually)
    on getting the gig. * as a side note- there probably are exceptions- if you were showing up to audition for a punk band- then showing up w/ a cheap bass might actually be in your favor. Probably wouldn’t want an Alembic or Fodera for that audition...

lfmn16 likes this.
  11. cchorney

cchorney Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2010
    Meriden, CT
    It sounds sweet. Still have it? Got pics?

12. Now you're going to extremes that do not apply to the OP at all.
    Self-sabotage, moral victories... it is a little overdramatic, don't you think?

13. :D

You're right, usually the worst people, for gear snobbery, are inexperienced bands with members who have enough disposable income to afford all the cool toys. We all like cool toys, that's not a bad thing, but it is a bad thing when the main interest revolves about the gear and not the music.

Yonni and spade2you like this.
  14. I love that transparent red!

15. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    That's one case where you were better off not being hired by that band. Having some ingrained expectations is one thibg, but being unwilling to be eduated and even a little bit flexible is asinine. I have little patience for controllong behavior rooted in ignorance.

byacey and spade2you like this.
  16. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    ^^This right here^^
    I feel like you already knew that, though. The question is: "Do YOU care about the fact that it matters?"

T$

Yonni and two fingers like this.
  17. Not at the moment thanks to Photobucket being jerks.

18. DeepFriedBass

DeepFriedBass

Nov 21, 2019
    I tried out for a rock/country band one time. The current bass player had a custom shop 5 string jazz burst with an orange ad200 on an orange cab, but had some attitude problems.

I show up with a 4 st. p bass and a behringer frankenrig. Instantly got the gig after a couple songs when the band members were like "holy crap I can actually hear the bass, I never even knew that's what the bassline was etc.."

So you get judged initially. My bass had a sticker on it and the amp had broken knobs and was beaten to hell, not to mention junk, but a good player knows how to make the best of the equipment. It's about how it fits in the mix, not how it sounds on the company website review videos. And oftentimes, people really dont know how to use high end gear and cheaper gear actually sits In the mix with less fuss.

I wish I had that other guys rig!

19. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    Depends. Auditions can be odd things.

There are bands who decide based on what clothes you're wearing, your star sign or on the bass you are playing.

The good ones will decide if you are right for them based on what you say and what you play. The best auditions will be those where you have done your homework and you knock it out of the park. You still may not get the gig but you'll know its not your fault.

If I'm auditioning someone I want to know they can play and they are serious at what they are doing.

20. Eddie LeBlanc

Eddie LeBlanc

Oct 26, 2014
    Beaumont, Texas
    None