Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DO i need a new neck??

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by lowendgrumble, Mar 14, 2004.

1. lowendgrumble

lowendgrumble

Apr 13, 2003
    Chicago, il
    Hey,

I have a late 1980's wilfer. Its seen better days. The neck was cracked and broken before i owned it and was repaired seemingly well, (structure wise) and pretty ugly in terms of cosmetics.
    About a two years ago i noticed a gap between the fingerboard and neck, i took it to the luthier and he said if it grows we could take care of it, if not it should be fine. last year i noticed it had moved an inch or so down.wider. I took it in and had it fixed, and i was offered two ways of repairing it. 1) take the fingerboad off, clean out the old glue, and re-glue and clamp. 2) the much more expensive way, would be to replane both pieces and clamp and glue.
    i opted for the cheap route and now the gap is back and even worse, 6 months or so after having it repaired. Should i consider a new neck altogether, or just get it fixed the right way??

please help?

2. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    If the fingerboard/neck glue joint is failing, you wouldn't need to replace the neck. Just have the board removed, the glueing surface cleaned up, the fingerboard refitted (as neccesary) and the board reglued back on. Not an expensive job...

If the board is old and thin, or made of cheap wood, you should probably just have it replaced...

I don't think your problem warrants a replacement neck.

3. I would take it back to your luthier and have it re-evaluated maybe. The last repair I had done on my bass, I was given three options. Each one was quite a bit more expensive than the other, and the luthier gave me his personal recommendation based on price and durability. (it was the middle option.)

Also, It would seem to me, that per say the luthier took the board off, glued it back up and didn't notice anything else under there that needed fixed, that the repair he did should last longer than 6 months. In my previous experience, whenever I bring my bass in to the shop, the luthier gives the WHOLE bass a good look, and recommends any repairs that he thinks are neccesary.

SO I guess what im trying to say, is that it is your luthiers responsibility to make and/or offer the best repair possible, and also mention any drawbacks to taking the cheaper route.

But..depending on humidity, how your bass is treated, etc.. the seemingly faulty repair could very well not be the fault of the luthier.

What I would do is have the previous repair evaluated by a different luthier, and if it is determined to be a shoddy job, confront your other luthier about a possible refund...