1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do I need new batteries on my active bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mtoklitz22, Oct 26, 2020.

1. I've an active jazz bass that runs on two 9v batteries. I recently changed my batteries, that is on august 1st week 2020. I practice approx. 45 mins everyday. In that ime, I'll have the preamp on for 10-15 mins. My bass is sounding like this now. Should I change the batteries?
    I handle and maintain my bass very carefully. Is everything alright with the electronic part of my bass?
    Do let know guys. Thanks!
    Edit: I DO NOT LEAVE MY BASS PLUGGED IN. I ALWAYS UNPLUG MY BASS AFTER USING.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  2. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    I didn't think it sounded like the batteries are dead. But if you have some different batteries to test, why not?

I've also heard of players with active basses unplugging them from the output (amp or DI) when not in use

3. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

You can diminish a brand new set of batteries in a day or so if you leave the cable plugged into your bass. Easy to check them with a multimeter.

pcake, Wambemando, trickyric and 2 others like this.
  4. Yes. I always unplug my bass as soon as I’m done using it. You hear the squeals in between? Isn’t that a sign of batteries getting weak?

5. I do not leave my bass plugged in. What’s the recommended voltage I should see when I check? 8.7v+?

6. Bent77

Bent77

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Do you have a fresh set to use?

7. I gotta go a bit far n get ‘em and provided the circumstances now, I want to be entirely sure I must go n get. That’s why I want to confirm.

8. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

I would think that the batteries are probably fine then. Yes, over 8.7 would be totally useable.

If it’s that hiss you’re talking about, it doesn’t sound like a dying battery to me. Has it been the same since you swapped them?

9. No not the hiss. Oh that’s kinda a mandatory in a split coil jazz pickup. Don’t you hear any squeals? Or anything that indicates I change the batteries?

10. MD-BassPlayer

MD-BassPlayer Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    The batteries sound like they're ok. Usually you'll hear some clipping or distortion when the batteries are almost dead. You're picking up some noise somewhere, don't know if it's your recording chain or the bass could use some shielding.

11. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    The distorted tone - are the strings too close to the pickups? Gain not setup properly on the amp head or whatever you used to record it?

nilorius likes this.
  12. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

Batteries are fine. It’s all in your head ;)

DonH and Relsom like this.
  13. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Test those batteries the right way...
    upload_2020-10-26_20-18-58.jpeg

Geri O, JoshS, Rabidhamster and 9 others like this.
  14. Don’t you hear any squeal in the clip I posted? Like, isn’t that a sign of batteries going weak? The tone is also not sharp like it wo be with brand new batteries.

15. Yes. I’ve kept the strings close in order to get that raspy jazz sound which I
    Adore. Don’t you hear any squeals in the clip that I posted?

16. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

No squeals. Could be your setup or again, in your head ;)

DonH and Mtoklitz22 like this.
  17. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Mount Prospect, IL
    I don't hear the "squeals". Not even sure what you are referring to. Are they newer strings? Round wound? Are you not adjusted to hearing the extra fret noise?

18. You’re prob right. I guess I’ll check ’em with a multimeter just to be sure. Thanks a lot!

19. Right. When I checked by connecting it to my daw, the volume levels weren’t down either. I don’t know. I guess I’ll verify them with a multimeter, just to be pretty sure.

20. nnnnnn

nnnnnn

Oct 27, 2018
    Australia
    I would not expect batteries to die anywhere near that soon with that level of use.

I last changed the (single) 9V in my main bass back at the start of March and it's still fine after playing for approximately an hour per day five or six days per week. (Some days longer and including a couple of times when I accidentally left it plugged in overnight.) I've never changed the battery more than twice in the same year.

My other active bass is still fine using the battery that was already in it when it was on the shop floor at time of purchase well over a year ago, though I only play that instrument once or twice per week (an hour at a time).

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020