1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do I Need Oil On A Stripped Neck

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Ezbass, May 1, 2009.

1. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    I've recently stripped off the finish of two of my bass' necks as they were sticky (one was a MM SUB where the paint had got shiny and started to drag and the other a new Nitro finished neck which the chemicals in my skin sticks to). My question is can I just leave them bare or do I have to finish them with something like Tru Oil? If I can leave them bare are there any drawbacks? Any help gratefully received.

I tried to do a search but can't seem to find a specific enough search string to limit the "hits" to something reasonable.:ninja:

2. scottyd

scottyd Commercial User

Nov 17, 2006
    Waco Tx
    Builder/owner Redeemer Basses
    The main drawback to leaving them bare would be they will stain and look funky and have the tendecy to absorb moisture.

3. jruberto

jruberto

Dec 23, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Staff Producer / Audio Engineer: Blue Tower Studio, Denver, CO & Mighty Fine Productions, Denver, CO
    the couple unfinished necks i have are kept bare, though a couple times a year i hit them with very fine sandpaper, then a little lemon oil applied using 0000 steel wool. keeps things nice & smooth, keeps the wood healthy, yet still retains that unfinished feel.

4. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    If it were me, I'd oil them. The idea that they would be more susceptible to moisture seems like it could potentially cause relief issues (though I'll bet that it's not too likely). It's fairly easy and quick to finish a neck with Danish oil. Also, one of the smoothest necks I've ever played was done with Tru Oil and a little wax...

On the other hand, lots of guys have bare, unfinished necks and never have problems...

5. I like to have some kind of finish to keep the moisture out. You can achieve the bare wood feel by sanding all the gloss off.

6. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    Cheers guys, reckon I'll put some oil on, either some gun stock or danish oil.