1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do this ebay post for music man basses seem legit?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by suitlandkid2005, Sep 23, 2008.

1. suitlandkid2005

suitlandkid2005

Sep 23, 2008
  2. Earthquake

Earthquake

Dec 19, 2007
    SoCal
    That's an "OLP" Musicman. It's not the real Ernie Ball MusicMan. It's a "made in China" copy.

3. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    it's an OLP.... please just learn how to read...

4. Yes. Those auctions are accurate. They are not for Ernie Ball musicman basses. They are for OLP musicman basses. (OLP = officially licensed product; they have permission from Ernie Ball to make and sell basses that use designs based off the Ernie Ball designs.)

Some people will tell you that the OLP's, for the money, are just as good as the EB's. Get it professionally set up, swap out the electronics (or don't) and install a MM pre (or don't) and you've got a pretty nice bass for not much cost.

Others will tell you that they're not the real deal, so aren't worth the time.

5. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    No it do not:rolleyes:

6. suitlandkid2005

suitlandkid2005

Sep 23, 2008
    Well..excuse me..I am beginner..lol..I didn't know...

7. Machines

Machines

Dec 1, 2005
    Birmingham, UK
    Moderator: basschat.co.uk
    Welcome to the snake pit ;).

8. suitlandkid2005

suitlandkid2005

Sep 23, 2008
    That sound interesting. I am new at this. Would it be expensive to swap out the electronics and install a MM pre? Also, what is a MM pre and how much does it go for? One more thing, would the OLP sound just as good if I did nothing to it? Like would I get a good slap sound out of it?

9. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Why talkbass is such a nice place.

10. LDonnie

LDonnie

Aug 3, 2008
    Netherlands
    They don't know what they are talking about :D :bag:

Nope, swapping electronics is actually fairly cheap, it just takes some work and some knowledge of electronics. Check out some big stores of bass equipment like theperfectbass and the sorts.

11. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    Obviously it's not as good as the real thing. You can't put EBMM electronics in them as they are not sold separately. iirc, the OLPs are passive. They are like Squier basses compared to Fender MIA. Not the real thing, but decent for beginners.

For stingrays, there aren't many options. OLPs, Ibanez ATK, or the real deal. Or if you are lucky, a second hand Musicman SUB.

12. Oren Hudson

Oren Hudson

Dec 25, 2007
    Gastonia, NC
    I own 2 of the OLPs, a silver one with white pearloid guard and a stunning black one with the black pearloid guard, and have used both of them in gigs - very classy gigs - not the bar scene type. I am impressed with them both. That's why I bought the second one. I didn't change anything - just a good cleaning and my setup adjustments - and they were ready and able. I actually ordered a natural finish one from one of the mail order places - but it didn't play and feel the same, plus had some electronic issues, so I sent it back. IMO, with a good amp and EQ, electronics are not as important. Since I have a good amp and EQ, there was no need to replace anything. :cool:

13. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Bass_fish, its people like you who kill TB, for every legitimate beginner that enters here with a "common" or "easy" question, they always get criticism or "learn to use the search tool idiot" before they get real advice. Listen to your mother, if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all :)

To the original poster, I'd say go for it. Everyone starts with either a beginner Squier (low-end Fender), beginner Ibanez, beginner OLP, etc. I have the sh!t-bottom passive beginners Ibanez bass that I scored USED for $100, and a $600 Ibanez active 6-string. While the sound of the 6 is better than the 4, I have a CONNECTION with the 4, it was my learner bass, and after I learned how to play it, I learned how to get the sounds I wanted out of it. I'd never hesitate to use it live as opposed to the 6-string.

I'd get the OLP, I've never played it but (most) people here like or at least respect them, and its not too harsh of an investment if you end up dropping the hobby (just being realistic, this is one of the first hobbies I've gotten into and not stopped within a year)

EDIT: And I just realized after looking at the eBay pages, OLP has Ernie Ball written all over them. So even after reading the entire eBay page, if you're new to bass playing and gear snobbing, it'd be hard to tell.

14. meathook

meathook

Nov 4, 2007
    St. Charles MO
    Do These.........plural

15. No, it's not expensive, but it's not worth it either. Buy a used MM S.U.B. I paid $350 w/ hardcase for mine, about 1 month ago. Right now the economy is in the toilet, take advantage of while you can. It's not my advice to buy everything you can, but to be pateint and make better choices.

By the time you get a new PU and Preamp. You can easily sink $200+ into a $100-150 bass. And all you will have is a better sounding $100-150 bass that cost $300-350 to build.

BTW: 4 STRING ELECTRIC BASS GUITAR!! FAMOUS DESIGN!!! LOOK!!

$30 + $30 s/h as of this post (2hrs left if your on the board still)

16. suitlandkid2005

suitlandkid2005

Sep 23, 2008
    Thanx man...i appreciate it. $30 is cheap. I believe in things being too good to be true. Do you think this is the real deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-STRING-ELECTR...40:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ebayphotohosting

17. yeah look 2666 feed back @ 99.2% seems like a legit seller to me. It's ebay, allot of people do a last minute bidding war. Quite literally, on most actions I've bid on win or lose. The bids seem to double or triple in the last 1-2 minutes. The most @ the last minute. Those who have access, friends, etc will be eyeballing the mid day auctions. And they will place a last minute bid.

18. also there is $2000 of buyer protection if you use paypal.

Thats a good thing to look for make sure an auction and/or it's seller qualifies.

19. mailboxmoney

mailboxmoney

Jun 29, 2006
    I got an OLP for cheap, and bought the Seymour Duncan Basslines Musicman replacement pickup/preamp package for it (about $200). I never put it in because the neck on the OLP has a big bump where it joins the body, and I can't set it up right. That said, the bass sounds very good with the stock pickup - not as loud and punchy as the EBMM electronics, but a nice bass even with the action up a bit high. I'll probably go ahead and add the electronics just to see what it does for the bass -

20. +1 on the S.U.B.

And don't let the jaded dissaude you - was a good question!

Obviously the seller (eBay) was trying to cash in on the Ernie Ball mojo; and EB does in fact license these instruments, hence the name "Officially Licenced Product." Some folks have found real gems (see below posts); others have had knobs fall off, necks that proved to be un-adjustable, eletronics that didn't work right, so make sure you get to try (play) before you buy.
    The S.U.B line, which has been discontinued, was Ernie Ball's (EBMM) attempt to build a quality, yet easily affordable instrument in their US factory in California. They use many of the same components (primarily electronics), but the little touches (body contour) were skipped to reduce cost. Even so, Mr. Sterling Ball (Ernie's son, who now runs the company) quipped that he should have just given away $100 bills because that's what they lost on each S.U.B made...which is why they no longer make them. A true gem if you can find one used in good condition.