1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do we need PA subs?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by claytitan, Apr 25, 2009.

1. claytitan

claytitan

Mar 12, 2008
    Tennessee
    OK guys,

Our band (drummer, one or two guitars, bass and two vocalist) has the Carvin RX1200, (2) LS1502 speakers, a and couple monitors that we use for the gigs that do not have PA. We have only been putting vocals and acoustic guitar in the PA. We are talking about putting mics on the kick, and the electric guitar. DI on the bass. We want to do this more to get a good mix rather than more volume. It seems that the guitars especially are quite directional (the bass is too but not as much). This makes the mix sound good in some places and bad in others. As you can see we do not have subs with our PA. I am concerned that our mix will not have much oomph so to speak. I have a couple questions. The powered mixer has 4 300W amplifiers. Two of these we use for monitors two for the mains. I am wondering if I can buy unpowered subs (cheaper) to run with the LS1502 since they are 8 ohms and the amplifier will do 4 ohms. The mixer also has a subwoofer out but we would either need to buy powered subs or and additional amplifier. I am playing through a GK1001rbII and a single 8 ohm 15” speaker. Plenty loud on stage but more is likely needed out front. Any advise?

Thanks!

2. GregShadoan

GregShadoan

Sep 1, 2008
    Oregon
    Adding drums and bass IMO, you should be using subs. You could try to add subs to you mains, maybe the LS1501, or the LS1801N, as they are matched to you mains, have internal xovers, an are 8 ohms. 300 watts total per side though, is IMO underpowered for mid-hi's, and subs.
    Personally, if it were me, I would add a 1K or better power amp, add double 18's per side, and have headroom.
    If the gigs you use this rig are rare, then I would rent subs, till you could afford them.

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yep...might want to consider purchasing a used crossover, amplifier, and at least one 18" subwoofer (one may suffice considering the size of your system and budget). Not exactly sure how to incorporate the Xover into the powered mixer config., best check the manual.

Check your local CL, Trading Post, whatever, for used components. IIRC, I spent $700 to add a complete subwoofer system to our PA.

Riis

4. claytitan

claytitan

Mar 12, 2008
    Tennessee
    I think and amp and a 18" subwoofer would go a long way. No need for a crossover because the power mixer has an output for a sub (120Hz and lower).
    Any suggestion for wattage and/or sub brand?

5. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    What's your budget? I'd choose a sub, check the specs, then pick an amp that would best meet the power requirements.

Just a sidenote: I've found that the low sum / sub outputs work fairly well but are not true crossovers. The entire full-range signal will still hit your mains. This may not be true of all components on the market; check your manual.

Riis

6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    +1 that crossover is there for the protection of your 1502's as much as anything else. I snaggged a nice old DOD off EBay a couple of weeks bac at $40 shipped so if you look there you can get a decent deal. The gaining popularity of SMS bxews like hte driverack have pretty much killed the standard old x-over market is my guess.

There are also very good 12" and 15" drivers out there that work in reasonably sized boxes that will deliver the booty down in to the low 50 hi 40's range. Unless you're trying to do Earthquake - that's plenty low enough. Basically if you aren't running heavy synth, playing full on dub, etc - don;t bother with sub's that go to 30 and they get exponentially larger and more power hungry.