Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you consider your self "good"?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Thunderbird91, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Yes

75 vote(s)
    52.1%
  2. No

69 vote(s)
    47.9%
  1. Well as a bassist do you think you are good? It is up to you what good means. We all know that everyone could be better but what do you think of yourself?

2. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I guess "good", but but I don't think "good" is good enough.

3. Herman

Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    I'm pretty good but I have an awful lot of room to grow.

4. I feel like I am terrible, low bass self esteme. Hopefully that will change after I audition for this one band that is one of the best at my school. I'm friends with the singer and the lead guitarists and they both say that i'm probobally in if I can hold my own in the pocket.

5. Strive for perfection, and since there is no perfection, there's always a reason to strive in hopes of proving ourselves wrong.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I'm a pocket player, and I tend to think I am good at what I do. But I always strive to be better.

7. I can go out of the pocket also, their minimum requirements are having the ablity to play in key, with rhythm, and do more then root. I can do all of that and more, I just worry that I'll start playing with them and all of a sudden murphy will strike and i'll star to fumble around, my amp will start to distort for no reason very loudly, i all of a sudden won't beable to slap and pop properlly and ill get out of key and off rhythm.

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I usually have them give me the key, and watch what they play and just fiddle until I find the groove. I generally start with following the root, then as I get familiar with the song, I tend to move more as the song demands.

9. Thats what I was planning on doing.

edit: Or am planning on trying to do.

10. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    It depends on the day and the situation.
    I would say decent, I guess.

11. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    What you fear will come to pass.
    You got some stinkin' thinkin' man. You need to picture the song, the riff, the audition, the gig already nailed. Picture yourself driving home thinking that was cool.

By worrying about it your making it happen. It's a self fullfilled prophecy of failure. You'll also spread that to your band members.

You know what your strengths are, so use them.

12. I would say Im good at what I mainly do - praise and worship/rock music. After ten years, I would hope I would be good at it by now. But I would rather describe my playing as "solid" or "tasteful" rather than good - thats just the bass player way.

If I was slapping or playing jazz, then I wouldn't class myself as good - not even passable. I know my current limits.

13. I consider myself better than competant. I can keep the groove down well, and know just enough to make sure it's a little interesting.

Don't go putting me on any "next Jaco" list, though.:D

Rock on
    Eric

14. i would consider myself decent/solid/tasteful at what i do. I feel i can hold my own in most settings and play to what the song needs. Which i feel is my greatest strength.... being able to play what is needed. I used to try and be flashy ealrier on playing with other people, and it just wouldnt work.

15. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i am ok.

i know which one is the D note. :)

or is that E?

16. No, I leave people to judge my playing, not me. Even if I am "good" I will still continue learning to get better.

17. after 7-8 months of playin. i practice m-f 2 hours a night and no tellin how many hours on the weekend. im better than when i started. with this little experiance i would consider my self fair but i have never had high self esteem.

18. I think I am bad.

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

The more I know, the more I realise there is to know!

20. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Still bad after 8 years. Must fix stuff.