1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you count when you play?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by chief ten beers, Mar 17, 2009.

1. CRONOS

CRONOS

Jun 30, 2008
    Only during rests.

2. D Rokk

D Rokk Banned

Feb 19, 2009
    Delta Quadrant
    when i first started playing you could see me counting cuz i'd be mouthing along.. now i just move the rhythm. its still counting to a point, and it looks cool ta boot!

i dont even realize i'm counting anymore.. i'm just "feelin it" and that my friends is groove

3. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Sometimes. Depends on the piece. 4/4 I don't recall the last time I did, but I have been in bands with lotsa crazy time sig changes, so I had to count in those situations...

4. Chief-
    I'm in the same boat. Counting and reading to improve my playing & correct a lifetime of bad habits.
    I count when I'm trying to learn a part of written music. This has really helped me to hit the dotted rests and eighth pickup notes. But I usually don't count during a song unless it's a difficult part that I'm playing at church.
    When I'm with my other bands and try to apply what I've learned at a music lesson, I don't count. I just try to groove.

5. GODSBASSMAN

GODSBASSMAN

Feb 2, 2005
    S. Carolina
    This question: Do I count when I am playing?
    Depends on who it is you ask?
    Drummer loves me but......
    :bag:

6. vinny

vinny

Apr 3, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV.
    This.