1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Do you have good and bad rhythm days??...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Claymore, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    Some days, I feel like I'm spot-on and my rhythm is right where it should be. Occasionally, for no apparent reason, it feels like my two playing fingers are suffering from Down's syndrome and they can't get out of each other's way. I have no logical explanation for why it fluctuates but I was wondering if this happens to anyone else. Does it seem like your rhythm is better some days than others and do you have any theories about why this happens?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  2. It happens. Everyone had good days and bad days.

3. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    you bet. some days/gigs I'm right on it, sometimes I've got to really work to get right on it.
    normal

lots of depends in this question ..
    depends on how familiar you are with the music being played
    depends on how familiar (and locked in) you are with the other musicians involved
    depends on where your head is at during the gig (focused, distracted etc ..)
    depends on whether your really into the music being played, or just there to cover the gig

lots of depends

Fergie Fulton, jdh3000 and Claymore like this.
  4. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

Of course.
    Just realize that perception is a big part of it.
    Your probably never really as bad as you think you are on a bad day or as good as you think you sound on a great feeling day.
    It all evens out

Last edited: Feb 28, 2020
  5. dannylectro

dannylectro Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Blame the drummer

Rezdog, Nobis17, Claymore and 4 others like this.
  6. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    Wisdom. :thumbsup:

7. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    yeah. Sometimes I'm spot on and sometimes , errr , the drummer is a little bit off - and that lil bugger takes the whole band with him .. .

Claymore and DTRN like this.
  8. Elusive1

Elusive1

Jun 21, 2018
    Singapore
    Depends on the band

Claymore likes this.
  9. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Definitely. Good days and not-so-good days for rhythm and many other things. But years ago I noticed that when I take valerian extract to help with sleep, my rhythm is slightly better the next day. At first I was skeptical about it, but over time I've become convinced it's true (for me), so unless I forget, I always take valerian the night before a show.

10. dvs20

dvs20

Mar 11, 2007
    mantua, OH
    i definitely have good days and bad days, not only with rhythm but note selection. sometimes I can work the fretboard and just seem to hit the right notes, I call those my "good ear days", other days.....not so much. I hate going into gigs not feeling "it".

Claymore likes this.
  11. Claymore

Claymore

Nov 10, 2019
    Rhode Island
    I totally identify with this. Carol Kaye was talking about how some old jazz guys were advising her not to practice 24 hours before a gig so that way, you're going into it "fresh". She swears by it. I tried that once and I was not on my game the following day, so YMMV. I'll probably try it again, though.

12. dvs20

dvs20

Mar 11, 2007
    mantua, OH
    I like to run though specific passages the morning of a gig, I usually find out then whats going on

Helix likes this.
  13. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    People have off days doing all kinds of skilled activities. Why do pro golfers sometimes totally stink or basketball playes can't make a 3-pointer all night? We're not machines, so we shouldn't expect to be totally on our game at all times.

31HZ likes this.
  14. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    drink enough beer and everything you play sounds great. even the drunks in the crowd will agree,... YOU WERE AWESOME, BUUUDDY!

Joedog and Nobis17 like this.
  15. bass12

bass12 Have you seen my tonsils lately? Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I was talking to my DB teacher about this last week. I'll listen to a live recording of myself and hear places where my timing isn't "perfect" and I'll start getting really down on myself. The thing is, there are a lot of different factors that can come into play in a live setting: the other musicians, how well you know the material (and how comfortable you are physically with whatever patterns/phrases you might need to play, where you're concentrating your focus, etc. Being "in the moment" can require different things at different times and creating a good feeling on stage at a given moment might mean focusing more on, for example, energy than on perfect note placement. Having said that, I think it's good to not take timing for granted and to periodically "check in" by specifically focusing one's attention on that particular element of playing (whether live or during practise).

16. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    I have good, better, and best days.

If you do not, go to the mirror (boy) and see what your hair looks like.

17. Do you have good and bad rhythm days??...

Yes,yes I do. Practicing until you can play your gig music without even being fully awake, though, makes sure that even at your worst, you're perfectly good enough.

18. mambo4

mambo4

Jun 9, 2006
    Dallas
    Steve Martin wrote in his Autobiography (paraphrased):

"It's easy to be brilliant, once in a while. Anyone can do that.
    What is difficult is being pretty good, all of the time.
    That takes work, that takes practice."

In my mind we don't practice to be perfect. What we want is to be trained well enough that the glitches (internal or external) won't throw us off our game.

In other words: the prescription for bad rhythm days is practice

jallenbass, IamGroot and 31HZ like this.
  19. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    This thread hits home. Timing is everything. I have bad days but I bet that the overall trend is positive. Today's bad day -- hopefully not literally tonight! -- is better than my bad day last year.

20. My rhythm isn't as good when I'm tired but as long as I'm moving something, even my foot I'm generally pretty good. I was a natural rock n roller consequently I loved playing on top of the beat, took me a long time to learn how to play behind the beat without dragging and still pushing at the same time. Playing with the beat was also easy for me.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021