Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do You Know Your IP #?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Treena Foster, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Funny thing is, I was at another site and saw someone with this in thier sig. I didn't give it much notice at first, then I thought to myself, hey that is my IP showing in that banner!
    But everyone should only see thier own IP, not anyone elses.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Treena

2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    YOUR COMPUTER IS BROADCASTING AN IP OVER THE INTERNET RIGHT NOW

3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    OMG HELP ME!!! NOOOOOO!!!!!!

Oh... wait.... Dave, don't do that to me :bawl:

4. wow, thats a neato smiley!

5. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    So wait a second.... Is the one I see in your post, Treena, MY ip? So it is different for everyone who sees your post?

[EDIT] IT IS ME!!!! COOL!!! :D

6. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yes
    Take screenshots if you wish. But thatd be giving everyone your IP = not smart. Too bad it bombed on my browser, i dont use IE.

7. that is so stupid...it says I'm on IE 6, when I'm so on Opera.

8. AH OMG OMG AHH *Runs in circles*

*Runs stright into a metal poll*

CRASH !!! NOICE NOICE MORE NOISE.

9. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Funny thing is--

my computer is cool. It DOES say that my IP is at baylor.edu, but it gives the wrong one :D

My firewall is virtually impenetrable.

10. Ummm...
    It's way off for me...

11. I think the strangest thing is how it knows that my kung fu is better than your kung fu. Scary...

Edit: Ok, it changes message every time...

12. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    That's not your firewall, it's your proxy server.

13. Bombed on my browser too...i havent used IE in a long time. I only use Opera.

14. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    When you connect to a website, your browser makes a request for the page and any associated content to be sent back to it. The protocol for doing this dictates passing a bunch of information including the IP address (or firewall), browser type and platform you are using.

It's not rocket science to extract it - although putting it in the graphic using some server side magic is a neat idea.

BTW, many websites are set up to not work if not viewed with IE because the designer hasn't checked them with anything else. To circumvent this other browsers, such as Opera, allow you to pretend to be using IE, thus giving the apparently erroneous result. FWIW, my setup - Firebird, running on Linux - is reported accurately :D

Wulf

15. why is it a big deal for them to "know" you ip. You can just look it up on your pc in My network connections. I can't remember how to do it on a MAC. At www.whatismyip.com it didn't read mine which is probably good. I love firewalls.

16. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    If you are running OS X go to system preferences > network. Then select whichever method you are using to connect (ethernet, airoport, etc). click on the TCP/IP tab and it shows you your IP address.

FWIW, I'm on my University's wireless network and it got my IP address right.

17. downstairs

downstairs

May 13, 2001
    Pasadena, MD
    It gives me some 24 number when i have a 192 number, sweet, my little router works!

18. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Another Opera user here

19. Seems to work OK on MozillaFirebird...
    [​IMG]

Hack me, ping me, baby.

--jeff