Do You Lock Your Basses Hard Case?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by AGH, Apr 25, 2014.

1. AGH

AGH

Jun 18, 2013
    Long Island NY
    All of the stuff I got for free wore out!
    I was reading a classified ad for a used bass case on here and it noted that it came without keys. This got me thinking. I honestly cant remember a reason for locking my case, in fact it seems more like an invitation to problems. So do you lock your case? If so why?

zontar likes this.
  2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    The only reason I can see is to secure the lid so it can't open inadvertantly, to prevent an accident where the bass falls to the ground while you carry the case. The odds of that happening in the first place are probably slim.

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I have never once locked my cases. I keep my key inside the case so if anybody steals my bass they can still lock the case. Locking the case won't stop theft it will just irritate them and potentially damage your bass in the process of opening them.

AGH likes this.
  4. I don't even close all the clasps - just one or 2 so the case remains closed. Easier to get the bass out in a bass playing emergency.;)

AGH likes this.
  5. if you are touring and people you don't know have access to your gear,locks would be wise.....an m/t guitar case looks just like a full one and you can bet the road crew is counting cases,not contents...just for the record tho' it is a real good idea to take a polaroid of everything and leave it in your case so you are less likely to forget something ...one glance and you know you have it all....

6. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    The difference between a locked bass case and a 250 pound safe is a thief can easily pick up the case, walk away to another location, and pry off the latches to help himself to the goods.

thief.jpg

SunnBass and AGH like this.
  7. Don't lock a case when shipping it internationally, it's bubble wrapped and boxed so is not necessary. I had that happen to me when buying from overseas.

Fortunately a customs officer was smart enough to read the form and see the 3-digit combination code written on the paperwork.... but only after a few failed attempts with a screwdriver. Surface scratches only to the latch thank God.

AGH likes this.
  8. a locked case is not going to deter a guy from stealing the whole case ,but it may prevent someone from stashing the instrument and loading the case.....a lock is even helpful in that unless you know exactly what is in that particular case you may be less inclined to steal it....

9. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    I do not lock a case, but always put a belt around it when carrying to prevent an accidental opening and bass crashing to the ground.

AGH likes this.
  10. Nope, and if I did, that would be the day I would lose the keys to it... For anti theft purposes I'd imagine it would be easier for a thief to just walk away with the bass and case together anyway so a lock isn't really going to help in that department. Sometimes I keep things in the storage compartment while I gig though (phone usually) and I should probably lock it then.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
    AGH likes this.
  11. When flying, we covered the latches and hinges in gaffe tape (a strap can get caught). This secured the latches from being caught, breaking or accidentally opening.

Then we wrapped clear 2" wide tape over that. It's impossible to remove that thin stuff without tearing, so the handlers know they can't open it without evidence of tampering.

Customs Officials could still open it if critically important, but only ever did that in front of me.

OT:
    random drug swipe of guitar case came up positive so they insisted on looking inside my case before the flight.

'Are you carrying any drugs?' she asked.

'No', I answered, 'but that case has been around the country, under stages and next to other musos gear..... and I can guarantee a few of them were on drugs.'

Fortunately she laughed at that, a quick look inside and I was done.

12. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    In a half century of owning musical instruments, never, not even once, have I locked a case.

AGH likes this.
  13. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

If I ever travel with an instrument on an airplane again (highly unlikely to ever happen), it will have clear tape over the latches. In 1980, I took a bass guitar to Europe and travelled around there, but never locked the case. If I ever lock the case, I'll immediately lose the key, so I keep the key safe in the case where I can't screw things up. Another viable option for me is to lose the key without locking the case. That would remove any possibility of doing something completely dumb.

The comment about drug residue on the outside of a case makes me laugh. I have no doubt that every case I own has something on it from somebody. I got most of my gear used, so if it doesn't have residue of all kinds of things on it, I would be completely surprised. I guess I won't be going to Canada with a bass guitar! The first owner of my upright was a classical music student. The likelihood of drug residue on that is a whole lot less than the likelihood of something on the Ric!

AGH likes this.
  14. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    When I was in high school I locked the case to my electric guitar while I was at school so my brother couldn't play it. (He went to a different school and got home long before I did.)
    I came home one day and the lock is damaged, but he couldn't get it open.
    But the lock was ruined so I couldn't open it either and I had to pry it off.
    I then re-attached it with screws, and it works as a latch--but doesn't lock.

I don't even know where the keys to the latches that lock are.

AGH likes this.
  15. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Never once locked a case in 35 years of playing.

16. I use a gigbag so HA!

17. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Aug 22, 2011
    I store a few of my instruments at a local recording studio that I use for rehearsals and tracking, and because that space gets used by other musicians I always lock those cases.

AGH likes this.
  18. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules!

Never locked my case, now using a gig bag. If I toured, I may have considered it. Otherwise, pointless IMO.

AGH likes this.
  19. Helaskold

Helaskold 100% Mediocre

Jul 22, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I used to lock mine back in high school because I would leave it in the band hall and didn't want people messing with it but now I just keep it in my sights at all times unless it's at home so I don't think locks would change much. If someone is going to steal it, they will just grab the whole case and walk off.

AGH likes this.
  20. Howlin' Hanson

Howlin' Hanson Lighter cabs, please.

Sep 3, 2007
    Austin TX
    I'm surprised that no one asked Jim what a Polaroid is..

AGH likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021