1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do you play differently when you're angry?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by villarddefender, Dec 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Lachlan Legge

Lachlan Legge

Jun 5, 2017
    Western Australia
    May rant on about certain subjects
    I know that's the case. I modeled my stage presence off Jaco Pastorius and I'm not afraid to be forceful with the thing if need be. I know many people will disagree with the way I do things but basses aren't meant to be hoarded and treasured. They are tools for your musical outlet and my emotions. Plus, that bass which I abuse is an old SX which was like $200 at most with it's pack. So it's not like it had any resale value. The Fender is much more taken care off because I need it for gigs.

2. IamGroot

IamGroot

Jan 18, 2018
    Depends what I am mad about.

If its not about the music, I tune it out. Trained to do that.

If its because of the people I am playing with are obnoxious and I can afford to be a jackass and never plan to see these folks again, I have been known to be evil.

I almost never run into problems on gigs. If its a jam session, I usually just get off the stage as soon as decent.
    I make it a point not to embarrass beginners or legitimate mistakes.

But....
    - If its because the guitarist is too loud, I play inaudibly, then tell I em I am playing fine, but they need to turn down to hear me.
    - Soloist gets lost - I will play the melody.
    - Band doesn't know their chords... I will arpeggiate them (including that Aug5 on Stormy Monday).
    Band drops tempo, ...will pound the heck out of 1 and 3 (or 2 and 4 on jazz gigs).

3. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    If you're serious about your playing, you should be able the play the same way no matter what. Angry, Sad, out of money, nervous, giddy, whatever.
    But, if playing bass is a way of dispelling bad feelings, I would suggest primal scream..... it's faster and people tend to keep their distance.

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I'm happy to say that I don't ever really play angry. Lucky maybe? Growing up a bit maybe, and I'm able to let things go a lot more quickly than I used to? Focusing on what I'm doing has also become a lot more important for me, so I think even when things ARE bothering me, I'm better able to shelf them until later. When I was a kid playing punk influenced stuff, anger was good :). More energy.

5. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    $+$+$-$@+@&#&'#: yes