1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do you play differently when you're angry?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by villarddefender, Dec 28, 2017.

Tags:
  1. villarddefender

villarddefender

Nov 21, 2017
    In my case yes I pop every notes :bassist:

Dominic DeCosa likes this.
  2. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    No.
    I cannot focus when I'm angry.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Not really. I am a pretty physical bass player already. If I played harder when I get angry I would break B strings. :D

So watcha mad at @villarddefender ?

Wisebass likes this.
  4. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

Do you play differently when you're angry?

sure. IMO: we do just about everything differently when we're angry. that's the problem with anger.

pop every note when you're not angry = doesn't sound right! ;)

keep us informed. thanks.

Wisebass likes this.
  5. Yes... I have a tendency to swingbash my bass against the doorway post..

6. thewildest

thewildest

May 25, 2011
    Montreal
    I may play the same, but I am sure I will perceive that I am playing different. As with everything else, being angry does not really change the chaos of the universe, only your perception of it.

7. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Dunno,never tried it......
    I do play differently if i drink beer instead of vodka.....

8. I can't really play at all when I'm livid.

All focus and thoughts of music are gone..replaced by fuming anger.

9. I play more like a noise rock rhythm guitarist and less like a pure bass player. But to be fair, my happiest medium (pumped/engaged/whatever, but still passionate without being angry) is still a fairly aggressive mix of bass riffs and rhythm-esque chords. Sometimes I scrape up my knuckle picking too aggressively as well, or catch my nails under strings on upstrokes which absolutely kills and probably keeps the anger going. It's a cycle.

10. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2016
    I play more notes when I'm mad. I try not to do that though.

(The assumption is mad at my band mates, like when the get too comfortable and sloppy drunk onstage. Maybe at a venue or crowd, but that doesn't usually happen.)

11. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Yes. So, basically the final four gigs my band had. :/

12. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Yes I did :D

but better avoid fear and anger...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yoda-smoking-weed.

Wise

13. Lownote38

Lownote38

Aug 8, 2013
    Nashville, TN
    I don't know. I don't play angry. If I'm mad about something, it gets put aside once the music starts.

Badwater likes this.
  14. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    From a cognitive behavioral standpoint: I don't play angry music or hate music because, I avoid that kind of negative thinking and behavior. But I do play other types of music with the blues mentality which is emotional and with feel.

15. Being and Bass

Being and Bass

Apr 9, 2017
    Canada
    Yep. And that isn't always a bad thing. I try and change what I am playing based on mood: when angry (or, more often, frustrated) I really dig into the frets and it is the only time I can really play convincing thrash metal. It has me paranoid about switching to a fretless, however, as I am sure I would just murder the fretboard.

But on stage I am usually pretty emotionless. Between performance anxiety (I teach and preach as well, it isn't going away) and my poor memory, I have too much to focus on to feel much else. Works REALLY well as a bassist, but horribly for vocals.

16. Whitenoise17

Whitenoise17

Aug 6, 2016
    East Side
    Yeah, I always play pretty aggressively, because I like the punchy sound I get out of it, but when I’m angry, I hit the strings REALLY hard.

17. Frampton

Frampton Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2010
    NY
    Is there another way?

Need Gigs likes this.
  18. Yes, if I'm angry I tend to grab my Rickenbacker rather than my Jazz bass. That brings out a different approach already, playing more with a pick than fingers, and then I tend to attack things with more aggression, and push the tube pre harder getting a much more agressive tone.

19. Lachlan Legge

Lachlan Legge

Jun 5, 2017
    Western Australia
    May rant on about certain subjects
    I just smash the thing regardless. My fingerstyle playing is quite percussive and I also slap a lot. My basses all get put through their paces with me. I have dragged my first bass around like a battle-axe, punched it, kicked it, thrown it across a room, hit it with a baseball bat and many other things. Surprisingly it still plays really well and I nowadays play with a fender p bass that's just a dream to play. Haven't done much to that YET but you never know.

20. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    You’re still young. There’s a chance that you’ll mature a bit before you wreck your stuff. Especially if you are the one buying it.