1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Do You Play Lead Bass?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Nov 12, 2003.

1. I like playing unison lines - like Donna Lee, Scrapple The Apple, Solar - stuff like that - plus yeah I guess I play melodic bass parts when I'm jamming with my Boss RC20 - which is great for working out multi-part solo bass stuff (if that's not a contradiction in terms!). I like to step on the Whammy pedal sometimes too - when I go into Doug Wimbish mode.... don't forget the groove mind!

2. dee rob

dee rob

Feb 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    While it's not exacly lead bass, In my blues band I take a solo where everyone else leaves the stage. In my "heavy" band, the drummer and I will jam out some funk between songs. Got to make it funky!!

dee

3. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Fretted.

Solos:

I used to just take them, the guitar player would wake up about the 5th or 6th bar and realize he should have zoomed in earlier, by that time I was on a good roll, and could usually clip another 8 bars or so after the first go round. He then would come in, and people thought it was supposed to be that way. I did it so often to him after a while it WAS that way, hehe .... ;)

Then when he got really cranked up, sometimes I would come up under him or weave through his lines, augmenting them or
    accenting the lead solo line with a harmony riff. I had played with the same guy a long time, so I already knew what he was gonna do before he decided what he was gonna do.

Basic bass player telepathy.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 10, 2021