1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Do you solder components before installation?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by C-5KO, Aug 16, 2007.

1. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    I have a few DIY projects I want to start (shielding, new preamp, new pickups) and was looking for a bit of advice.

Do you feel it is better to solder the components (pots, switches, etc) before you install it in your bass or do you do the soldering after installing the components?

I could see pro's and con's for both. I was wondering what other people prefer.

2. i like to solder everything i can outside of the bass, put them in and then solder the pickup leads, that's just how i like doing it, it's nice to have a little extra room while soldering

3. I solder every thing out side it’s just easier with more room to work.

Plus less chance of burns or solder drops on the bass.
    MM

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yep, soldering everything possible outside the bass for lots of reasons.

Take a peace of carboard and circle your potholes in the bass through the control bay onto it. Label each pot on it so you don't get them turned around (ie reverse the pattern). Punch holes in the cardboard and drop your pots through them and solder them up. If it's not a flushmount jack you can solder it and the battery clip as well. You can solder the pups up and plug into the amp and tap on the pups to very everything works.

Unsolder the pups and you've got a drop in you know works.

5. I have a 3” thick block of wood with holes drilled so pots, jacks etc. sit nice and flat.
    I also have a mounted metal panel with 1/4 “ and RCA jacks for wiring plugs for cables.

It does keep some (not all) of the crap from rolling around the work bench.

MM

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Yeh I've seen some neat little tilt-jigs in the luthier forum. I rarely mess with it any more. If I did I'd probably rig up a whole workstation. As it is duct tape, bailing wire, cardboard and the like just seem to fit the mix.

7. C-5KO

C-5KO

Mar 9, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Thanks for the suggestions. Cardboard is a great idea. I can even measure the distances and trim excess wire if necessary.