Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Do you use an electronic tuner?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    If so what kind and what do you think of it? My Boss got crushed and I'm going out to buy a new one today. Was wondering if I should get the same one, or what you guys thought about others. Don't want a rack or a pedal though, want to fit it in my gigbag. What kind of tuner do you use, and what do you think about it? Low B info extra helpful. :)

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Boss TU-2 Works for me.

3. I used to use one of these:
    [​IMG]

but then I lost it, so now I just tune by ear to my band's guitarists, which I have to do anyway because they aren't real consistent even with electronic tuners.

4. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I can pretty much tune by ear, but I rarely need to check since both of my Fenders stay in tune for weeks, if not months.

5. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

My bass dosent go anywhere without it ! I have a Korg.

6. + 1. :)

7. $14 Korg

8. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Do you need a thru jack? or the ability to mute and tune?
    How much visibility do you need?

9. boss tu-2 works good like figjam mentioned.

10. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I think i'm gonna stick with the boss and just get a new one. Never had any problems with it. Why fix what ain't broke.

Anyone know the differnce between the extended range boss and regular one though?

11. I like my Korg tuner, although I don't use it much.

12. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I use a Boss TU-2. Works great *except* outdoors in bright sunlight. Then the display washes out.

While I have all the tuner experts here.... I always tune by continuously plucking the string. Last practice the guitar player asked me why I kept plucking the string. He just plucks once and tunes. I would think this would cause you to be very sharp since the string would go flat as it decays

So do you "keep the note going" while tuning? And are guitars different?

13. I use a Seiko. It was the first thing I bought, even before I owned a bass. I've had it... for too long now and it's had the same battery too...

14. ollybarclay

ollybarclay

Dec 14, 2005
    pluck once is better as the sound waves are allowed to reverberate better, also the note doesn't go sharp if you leave it to ring out.

15. The Boss TU-2 works great for me, even with my StingRay5, however, my only complaint is that it doesn't fit in any of my hardshell cases, only my gigbags.

16. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I have a Fender PT100. It's cheap and it works.

17. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I always have a tuner. The cheap ones work just fine. If I get an amp with a 'tuner out' I might get a better one.

I just pluck once. Watching the intonation as the string rings is one way to check if the strings need changing. If they go flat as they ring... they gotta go.

18. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

I started carrying a tuner to my gigs only after I got my electric upright in 1999, because that instrument is very hard to tune just by ear if you're playing it pizzicato. With a bow it's pretty easy, but of course I wasn't going to carry my bow just for tuning my upright, so I got my Yamaha YT-2200. But before that, I tuned my bass just by ear (having absolute ear helps a lot).

19. Boss TU-2 and TU-12.

20. I own a Seiko too, and it's worked very well for me. I haven't had to replace a battery yet, and it's a great tuner.