Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dodgy Yamaha electrics

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thecrashball, Jun 12, 2005.

1. thecrashball

thecrashball

Jun 12, 2005
    Hi, I have a Japan-made Yamaha Trb 4 String(it's been discontinued). I've had several problems with the electronics which seems to be the trend with japanese yamaha basses. Just wondering what advice you can give about completely new electronics as I've got fed up of getting repairs for my bass. Thanks.

2. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    Try putting in a new preamp. Did the trick for me on many fronts.

3. thecrashball

thecrashball

Jun 12, 2005
    What would you recommend?

4. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    what were the problems with the electronics?

5. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    there has been much documentation about the weakness of yamaha electronics, and what a great upgrade new pickups can be.
    For me, the EMG active pickups were a great choice, but chances are barts would work well too.

I have my reasons for using EMG's and I don't think I'll use anything else ever again.

6. thecrashball

thecrashball

Jun 12, 2005
    Firstly the jack went, then i had problems with the connections by the battery, then the soldering all went, and now the new jacks gone.

Wheres the best place for EMG? Would i be able to get complete electronics makeover?

7. Sounds more like mistreatment if the new jack went too and the battery connector went

8. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    That's what I did, I threw away everythign that had a wire attached to it, and started over. I did keep the input jack though, I didn't have a problem with mine

The EMG boxes have everything you need included. The best part is they are active pickups, and so well shielded you won't ever get a buzz out of it again, even if you play next to computer monitor. I bought mine form a local shop, but there are places to get them off the internet. Does your bass have a battery, or is it passive? EMG's require a battery, even with no pre-amp

9. thecrashball

thecrashball

Jun 12, 2005
    My Bass has a battery with two alnico pickups j-style but very wide, would the emg's fit ok?

10. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I would go to the EMG site and check the measurments of the J's

11. thecrashball

thecrashball

Jun 12, 2005
    They're a lot more narrow.