1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does a DEhumdifier exist for bass?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Pat Harris, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Hey all,
    I've recently had a string of outdoor gigs down here in Austin, and my bass is totally freaking out on me. It feels like a totally different instrument, sounds like a totally different instrument, etc. I'm wondering, is there any way to dry out my bass? I honestly think my bass likes to be bone dry, or at least humidity that's less than 30%. Any ideas?

-Pat

2. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Yeah, I really hate playing outside on really hot, humid days - especially with gut. Short of filling up your bass with those little dessicant packs that say "do not eat" I think your only chance is to store your bass in a very air conditioned room. This might not be so good for the bass, though.

3. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    It gets even worse when you go to a gig in Houston.
    A friend of mine kept a bit of rice in his bass.

4. Cody Sisk

Cody Sisk

Jan 26, 2009
    Lilburn, GA
    Ronald Sachs Violins
    I thought I told that guy once already to turn his snares off.. :D

Playing outdoors always makes for interesting changes in your instrument. Consider getting a stick bass and plug it into an amp for outdoor stuff and leave your carved bass inside..

5. Don Higdon

Don Higdon In Memoriam

Dec 11, 1999
    Princeton Junction, NJ
    That's a bad idea. It puts a bass in real jeopardy.

6. JKoehler

JKoehler Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2008
    Snoqualmie, Wa.
    Yeah, we`ve had some real humid days with rain in Austin lately, it doesn`t make it better that the last two months prior was very dry. Your sound post may have moved. All the outside gigs you had may have caused the strings to wear out faster. The combination of my sweat and humid weather kills strings faster on my bass. I don`t think you want to dehumidify your bass, especially below 40%. That will cause a host of problems, open seams, rib and top cracks.

7. ctxbass

ctxbass Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Central Texas
    If you cook the rice it does not make a sound.:D

8. Pat Harris

Pat Harris Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Yes, I suppose I'm just tempting fate with trying to have my bass too dry. I don't know why people insist on having an upright player for outdoor gigs... especially when you're just glorified wallpaper.

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    High humidity doesn't harm a bass. Unless you are talking 100%. Maple likes to exist in an environment between 30% and 90% +/-. When it gets humid the wood absorbs moisture and expands. You have to compensate by backing off the truss rod. This does not damage your bass. But really low humidity can damage the wood. I live in Denver and I run several humidifiers in my house for the people and the basses. Prolonged exposure to humidity levels below 20% can damage wood.

10. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Your doublebass has a truss rod?!

11. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Yours doesn't? Just take that little plastic plate off your pegbox. You'll find it;)

12. ctregan

ctregan

Jun 25, 2007
    Syracuse N.Y.
    You could try different size sound posts for dry/humid seasons.

It is possible the swelling of the wood, has effected the way the sound post fits. A poor fitting sound post, can change the way a bass sounds and plays.