Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does anybody else pluck like this?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by metaldog, Feb 5, 2004.

1. metaldog

metaldog

Feb 4, 2004
    I call it my "acoustic guitar" method, where I alternate notes of a line with my thumb and hit the rest with my index and middle fingers, like an acoustic guitar player. Playing like that (since I don't have the blessed Steve Harris right hand yet) allows me more confidence, speed and stability in my playing.

2. Feda

Feda Screwed up pitch

Jan 12, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    I do that sometimes when I play chords, or when I'm just lurking behind a melody or something like that.. The reason why I dont play like that when playing groove, is because you don't get the punch from a thumb as you do when playing regular.
    I would suggest you learn the "ordinary" way, but don't by any means ignore the technique you are now using, it's beautiful for certain things.

3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    If I'm reading you correctly, you're basically referring to "classical guitar"-style picking?

If so, I employ every now and again. I have actually found it quite useful to pluck more controlled root-octave notes successively when moving up and down the neck, ala 70s funk. By keeping the palm positioned close to the strings, I'll pluck the root with my thumb (not slap - just pluck) and then pluck the octave with my index finger.

When you are playing root/octaves in relatively quick succession, it's easy to get a little out of control by plucking both with the index and/or middle finger, thus the need for more steadiness and control. This method helps me, at least.

Pick up the Car Wash soundtrack and practice along.

4. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    I learned to play bass in this method and eventually built my right hand technique to grow out of it. I would practice with every finger to only help yourself. But,the method you're using now is going to greatly help you with chord and melodic structuring. -Luke

5. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Matt Garrison plays using that technique.

You can get some pretty serious speed with it.

He has a book on the technique in the works that is due out sometime this year.

6. metaldog

metaldog

Feb 4, 2004
    Thanks for all the feedback everyone, it's appreciated.

7. I play "classical" style sometimes. its awesome for speed and melodies.