1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does anybody still have their first bass and amp?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by madmikebass, Oct 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. madmikebass

madmikebass

Dec 15, 2008
    IMG_0542.JPG I was looking at my guiars again today, and walking down memory lane. Christmas of 1976 my parents gave me a 1967 Vox Apollo IV base. I soon picked up a 1965 fender bassman amp. I wish I still had the amp, but I sold it because I wanted a cleaner sound and went with an Acoustic solid state and single 15 cab. At least I still have the Vox!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
    I had a Squier MB-4 & a Frontman 25, wish I'd just stuck to those & practiced instead of GASsing:

S5000457-PS.

3. madmikebass

madmikebass

Dec 15, 2008
    Wow, just had to edit out a bunch of typos. Apparently the "a" key is not working well. Haha

4. madmikebass

madmikebass

Dec 15, 2008
    I feel your pain KBD. I have been playing bass by ear for an awfully long time. Just recently decide to take a 10 week fretboard mastery on-line course. I wanted to, finally, actually learn scales and all that. I wish I had done that 40 years ago!

comatosedragon likes this.
  5. Ross W. Lovell

Ross W. Lovell

Oct 31, 2015
    My first bass was an Ibanez Musician, I think. Active electronics, of course a battery.

Someone traded it in for a better new bass. Great shape, not a ton of money.

First amp, was an Oliver B120, 60 watts and a single 15" speaker in a closed cabinet.

Still have both, though the bass needs a neck repair.

Loaned it to a friend doing some studio work, studio had a fire. Bass was fine until the fire department dragged a hose through and knocked the bass off its stand cracking the neck near the headstock. Bagged the bass in plastic and put it in its case, slightly blackened but not charred, just wipes off with a cloth.

Should probably pull it and glue it back to normal, it's a simple break.

The odd thing, I worked at a music store part time in the 80's, I had just started playing bass after playing guitar for years, still do. Walked in to the store and bought a very early G&L 2000 for $100 Tony took as a trade, he threw in a new set of strings to sweeten the deal. Showed up at a rehearsal, had only managed to put in the battery. This thing had about 75% more bottom end than the Ibanez EVER had. Everybody in the band noticed the difference.

The weird thing.........this G&L, checked finish, a little road rash and hard case was held together by a belt and three hinges only.

Picture are from Google, my stuff not used regularly is buried upstairs.

Attached Files:

Spectrum likes this.
  6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I still have my 1st-ever bass.
    Epiphone candy-apple red, $109 in 1972.

1st Amp was a Univox 50-Watt head with 1x15 cab, $150 in 1972. This was sold for $75 in the early '80s.

BBQisgood likes this.
  7. JGbassman

JGbassman

May 31, 2011
    Iowa
    I sure do.

Yamaha 115b late 70's or early 80's.

image.

1981 Hondo II.

The Black and maple P that started it all.

image.

8. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    madmikebass, andres3195, JimK and 6 others like this.
  9. JGbassman

JGbassman

May 31, 2011
    Iowa

Same story with my amp. In fact that picture is in the music store that I found it, about an hour away from where I grew up. I was bought of course on the spot...

10. tlc1976

tlc1976

Aug 2, 2016
    Michigan
    My Harmony bass was my first and I still have it. My first amp was a Sears model and it went up in smoke after a few months, so most of it went in the trash. But I made a good cabinet for the speaker, which it still lives in and I have. I do have my first real amp, the Ampeg.

BBQisgood likes this.
  11. BassUrges

BassUrges

Mar 14, 2016
    Denver
    91 MIM Jazz. Never let it go, but did stash it at my mon’s for 20 years. Couldn’t afford an amp so I played it through the family stereo RCA aux inputs.

A couple years ago I pulled it out of storage, replaced the rusty screws with stainless, fixed the screwy electronics, did some aesthetic customization, and learned to play for real this time.

Mostly I play a ‘15 fretless MIM Jazz these days.

mikewalker and BBQisgood like this.
  12. stigbeve

stigbeve

Sep 24, 2014
    GK2001RB. I think I've had it about 10 years now. Never had one issue. It was being sold brand new on EBAY for $200 less than other same new amps. When I got it there was a screw rattling around inside, maybe that's why it was $200 less. I took the cover off and got the screw but never found where it was supposed to go (assuming it fell out, maybe it was just an extra floating around in there).

Still have first bass as well. Just a GSR200. I bought another later the same color.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    BBQisgood likes this.
  13. BIGEJ2

BIGEJ2 Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Happy Valley, PA
    I still have my first bass. My first amp died a number of years ago.

BBQisgood likes this.
  14. Juststanley

Juststanley Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2014
    Tejas
    I'll never "lose" my 1987 G & L SB-1......the Gorilla amp is long gone......it sounded like monkeys flinging sh*...well...you know

15. Octavio

Octavio

Sep 15, 2011
    Hawaii Kai
    I still have my brother's hand-me-down Danelectro which was my first bass. I repainted it using spray paint and wish I hadn't. The neck is still in good shape, all 15 frets of it.

BBQisgood likes this.
  16. phulcrum

phulcrum

May 20, 2008
    I'm an outlier. I have both the amp and the bass and both are still my primary gigging instruments after 10 years of playing. A 1998 Fender California Series P/J (although I put Bill Lawrence pups in it) and my old Eden WT300. I don't get much new gear.

dr_gonzo and BBQisgood like this.
  17. SteveBass5

SteveBass5 It all sounds the same, It's all one song! Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    My first bass I smashed and lit on fire when I was really young and didn't give a poopie. Not sure what it was but I hope nothing good. My first serious bass is a DeArmon pilot pro. I still have it and let my son take. Now I'm using a Carvin and a P. And Little Cort Fretless on the side.

repoman likes this.
  18. BBQisgood

BBQisgood

Feb 24, 2016
    I still have my first bass (Ibanez Soundgear), amp (crate practice amp 6 inch speaker), and my first instrument cable (12 feet, blue silicone terminal covers). I got them all on Christmas if 1995.

I'm out of town right now but I'll post pics when I get back.

19. lowendlowlife

lowendlowlife

Nov 21, 2015
    Digging that vox madmike!!! Not my bag but cool:) first real 4 string was a 97 squier affinity p picked up in 2000 for 60$. Bass came apart and in 2006 put the neck on a 70s mail order p bass copy from a family friend that passed long ago. Had mine and his and made one so they live on!!! And been living on hand-me-down gear from there pops gave me a peavey 1820 in 2001 and the megabass head for my birthday later that year. Good way to start the low end sickness!!! Now it's an MIM jazz in to the mega and a 1x15 with an odd ball job d140f mutt also from the old man:bassist:

madmikebass and BBQisgood like this.
  20. I did not know how good a bass my 1984 Washburn Bantam bass was 'til after I parted with it.

I did not know how good a combo my Peavey TKO 65-BW amp was 'til after I parted with it.

These were my firsts. I just did not know how good they really were.

Ever wish you could start all over again with a since-gone girlfriend? It's like that.

Phud likes this.