1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does anyone else agree that...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ESPplayer, Apr 21, 2009.

1. ESPplayer

ESPplayer

Nov 17, 2006
    The Squier VMs tend to be of higher quality than the MIM Fenders? I dont know if its just a local thing but all the VMs i have played have looked great and played better (kinda weak pickups though* while all the MIMs ive played have been rather unimpressive.Along with the fender price jumps the MIMs are looking less tempting.

2. Yes. The Squier VMs and CVs are top quality. I went to buy a MIM or Highway 1, and went home with a Squier CV Jazz instead.

:D

3. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    It all depends its a production bass theres good and bad in each batch.

My MIM neck on my P bass has to be my favorite fender neck i have played its got great flame, finish and fretwork although i know this luck is not consitant

4. uaudio

uaudio

Apr 11, 2008
    Arizona
    I'd love to see someone do a good double blind experiment with three Fenders - MIM, US, and Squier VM - minus decals and markings. I've played the VMs and I feel that its not so much that they are 'better' quality than I feel they are better quality given the price disparity.

5. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Every Squire VM I have played has been sweet! I would say they are better than MIM - heck yeh!

6. I agree. In this range it comes down to each individual instrument. I've played GREAT and LOUSY examples of both. You also must consider the factory setup or lack there of. The VM's and MIM's that come into GC may have a HORRIBLE setup.

7. LCW

LCW Banned

Mar 2, 2009
    OREGON!
    Thats why its hard for me to buy online , just cuz one played sweet at your local store the one you get in the mail can be complete junk.

Oh and i have only played the VM jazz i would love to get the jazz fretless and if one shows up locally i am going to check it out for sure

8. nickbear

nickbear

Jun 12, 2007
    surrey, uk
    i recently bought a 09 mim p bass for tour use ( needed a relatively cheap bass to shove in a van and not worry about too much).. i tried quite a few mim basses and a few squier basses. i found that they were all pretty close except for the mim fender i ended up buying. i had to try loads of mims to get the right one and none of the squiers felt as good especially the necks

you can get an awesome mim fender that will be streets ahead of the squiers if you really shop around

9. kb9wyz

kb9wyz

Sep 8, 2008
    Bloomingdale,IL

I have yet to see ANY Fender, MIM or MIA that the setup at the store is good. Usually, there is no discernable setup with the MIMs, so I have to give you that.

My experience with my MIM jazz is all great. No fret problems when I got it (no frets anymore) and the sound was good and the pups had good output and sounded great to me. Of course I did add a BAII and an active preamp. Now it sounds delicious. I love it and would buy another before I would get a Suier or an MIA.

10. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    I haven't found a VM Jazz or Precision yet that had any issues whatsoever, other than set up and tuning. And the tuning was a snap to remedy. One shop even let me setup the bass to my liking to try!

I am aching to try a CV Jazz, as soon as I hit Milwaukee again I will. Or some bigger town than here that has more than one small (albeit good) shop with a limited bass selection.

I have played several MIM's that were just fine, a few that were great and one or two that, well, they needed some help with issues I'd think the factory should have caught. Though none of the issues would have stopped me from buying those basses and fixing them up.

Now, the biggest difference I find between the VM Jazz and an MIM Jazz are the body woods and pickups. The Duncan Designed pups are a different animal from the stock MIM's. Both great, but the Squiers, I feel are a much better pickup, quieter but ballsy.

The MIM pups have a great tone though.

The biggest deal? I feel the Squier VM's are a very equal quality to the MIM's, and since I cannot get a blocked and bound (even if it is paint, or not) on an MIM, I bought the Squier. And to get what I want, I would buy another Squier and repaint the silly thing before I'd settle for an MIM with a neck I didn't want.

Where the Squier absolutely shines, is the quality for the price difference. As far as I am concerned, the VM's could be rebadged and sold as Fenders and be wildly accepted by the masses (or at least some peeps here.... :D ) and ditch the stigma some have with the headstock name. But then Fender would probably crank the price on them then. Forget I said that.

Hey FMIC! Squier VM and CV series stink, horribly! Drop the price as they stink and are over priced!!!!
    (just in case they read this stuff....):D

11. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    Haven't you seen the Classic Series 70's Jazz bass? Beautiful neck, great bass overall, a lot better imho than the Squier VM series.

12. ESPplayer

ESPplayer

Nov 17, 2006

Have you seen the price difference?

13. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Oh, I've seen them. Online. LikeI said there is one local shop and an hour away to the north and an hour away to the northwest there are two shops. Small selections.

Last time I went music storing the CV had just come out and no one had them. So, next time I get to an area that has some, I will play one. Though I am afraid to play the CV Jazz as it will most likely follow me home.....

And the price difference is not that monumental in terms of being able to afford one....

14. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    sorry, but what does VM mean?

15. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    As a rule? No. But even a few non-VM Squiers I've played have been outstanding. I modded a VM P to a PJ and regret selling it. It was rock-solid, and as well-built as other MIM's I've played. So....the VM's are outstanding, but I'd not say that they are better as a rule.

16. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Vintage Modified

17. If only those VMs are Alder instead of soft maple, I would have gotten it instead of a MIM. I agree that VMs have great quality though. The thing here in my country is that you have more choices of MIM Fenders than the VMs.

18. VM = Vintage Modified
    CV = Classic Vibe

19. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    oh, thanks! hahah, didn't think about those!

20. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    The classic vibe series are very impressive..The 50's P is pretty sweet. I just wish they had some other colors thou. Those Chinese factories are putting out some nice work.;)