1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does anyone mod modern solid state amps?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FenderBassBass, Aug 1, 2012.

1. I have a carvin bx500 head that I really like. I can always get a good tone out of it whether I'm using my upright or electric its really a pretty good doubling amp.

I have two things I'd like done to it, first and more easily, I'd like to add a pre/post switch to the direct out. It seems weird that the amp wouldn't have this feature, but it doesn't.

Second since I'm using the dpa 4099b mic for upright I have to bring an extra preamp that can supply phantom power to the mic. It would be amazing if there were a way to put a combo 1/4" / XLR jack on the front of the amp and build in the phantom power supply with a switch to turn it off.

There's plenty of physical room inside the amp so I guess its just a matter of if it will work from an engineering standpoint. Does anyone know of someone who could take this on? I'm in michigan but I could mail the amp out I suppose if there were someone who could do it.

Thanks,
    Jon

PS Carvin said they don't do that kind of stuff themselves, but they sent me schematics if I found someone that would.

2. MarkA

MarkA I believe in countermelody. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    No help, here, but it is cool that they sent you schematics -- or is this normal for amp manufacturers?

3. Well, I'm not sure if it's normal industry wide, but carvin does have them up on the site if you take the time to search for it..

4. esa372

esa372

Aug 7, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    He's not near you, but I would talk to Stretch at Valley Sound in Los Angeles. I'd be surprised if he couldn't do what you are asking; he may even know someone closer to you that can handle it.

http://www.valleysoundla.com/
    (818) 755-2801

He's done some great mods on my SS amp.

5. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    It would be a fairly easy modification to do. Your warranty would be void. It might be better if you think about using a pre designed for the upright and use an A/B switch in the FX loop.

6. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Just remember, modding your amp voids the warranty. Honestly, I wouldn't bother. Just use external components and leave it at that.

7. thanks, esa372 I'll check out the valley sound guy.

I'm out of warranty anyway, and the reason I want to make the mods is so I don't have to set up a bunch of other components to get the amp to do what I want. (mic pre and separate direct box)

8. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    I had an older BX500 for a while, and found it to be fairly picky about what mods it would accept happily. The power supply protection circuits were pretty tweaky in mine. Be sure to find a tech who's conversant with surface mount technology, since there's a lot of that going on in the BX500. It's not too bad as far as component size and spacing though, for SMT.