Does anyone own a stagg EUB?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by fermor99, May 21, 2018.

1. fermor99

fermor99

May 21, 2018
    Hi, this is my first time posting on talk bass.
    Does anyone have or know where I can get my hands on a stagg electric upright bass? I live in the Los Angeles area. I want to purchase an EUB and I’ve read good things about the stagg and it’s in my budget. I’m wondering if anyone would be kind enough to let me play on it to see how it feels before I make the purchase. That might be a lot to ask so if anyone has played on one can you describe it. I’ve played on a Yamaha silent bass and it feels great I loved it but it’s just too expensive for me. I’m hoping a stagg feels similar. I play jazz pizzacato style

2. You would be a bit disappointed, since the Yamaha is one of the best EUBs regarding the feeling of a Double bass.
    The Stagg is not bad for it's money, but you need to tweak this and that a bit and if you can afford a bit more expensive instrument, you might consider one of the Italian MK EUBs.

If you still consider a Stagg get the more expensive version with the rosewood fingerboard. Easier/nicer to get in shape if needed (this is often the case). The Stagg needs a lot of tweaking here and there and you might still be a bit disappointed afterwards, but if you just want one now that you can afford and know a bit of setup work for a double bass and can do that yourself, that might be a good first EUB. You might loose money/work time if you sell it later for a better instrument, but it is not too much if you can do the work yourself.

The bridge needs to be reshaped, you might need a different body support, new strings, maybe new tuners (after a while), maybe a little tweak of the electronics and a lot of reading of the Stagg Megathreads (do that before you order/buy).
    The MK is setup well with strings you can supply or good strings they usually put on.
    Do the calculation how much each of them cost you in the end. You might consider an MK EUB because it is the better one and would stay with you a lot longer than the Stagg.

I have three Staggs, two with the epoxy coated neck and one with the rosewood fingerboard. I know a bit how to change the camber of the fingerboard and did that for the rosewood fingerboard, but the epoxy coated ones I don't want to change (the epoxy coating is very thin) and one of them has no camber at all and rattles a lot on a lot of notes. One problem is the adjustable bridge (also epoxy coated) that is made for equal string height which does not work for a double bass-like instrument. So the lower strings rattle or the higher strings are very hard to press down.

madbanjoman likes this.
  3. Drang22

Drang22

Nov 16, 2017
    Denver, Colorado
    Just buy it from GC, and you can return it within 30 days if you don't like it.

4. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh

I totally second this. I started on the Stagg and then got a MK Studio that’s so much better to play on. The Stagg’s fingerboard is narrow and the angle too steep compared to a DB. That said, the Stagg whetted my appetite for the DB. I started with the Stagg, then a DB and then the MK Studio. I don’t use the Stagg anymore though I kept it. I gig mostly with the MK Studio but practice on the DB.

5. Llew Williams

Llew Williams

Jul 20, 2014
    Naples FL
    Ear player, self-taught; still don't read after 58 years playing . . . me bad! Happily married!
    I find the Stagg to be fine for practice and have used it on a number of Great American Songbook gigs. I was fortunate to have a pretty well shaped rosewood fingerboard and no other issues than the common one of a rattling end pin that needs to be positioned just so to stop rattling. By using a gut G-D and Spiro Weichs A and E, I compensate a bit for the bridge, which I have left alone. Sure, I and my fellow band members prefer the richer sound of my Obligato-strung '57 Kay, but at 78 years of age I keep the Kay for weekly in-house jazz jams or high profile gigs.

6. dan1952

dan1952 Commercial User

Jun 27, 2012
    Anderson IN
    Artist Endorsement with Supro Huntington Basses / Owner, Dan's Music, Inc..
    I had a Stagg in the shop, and it was everything I would expect in an inexpensive instrumeent. The wood used in the construction was a no name white wood, stained to look like hardwood, and inspired no confidence in how long it would hold up. Save up and buy the Yamaha.

7. Funkee1

Funkee1 Commercial User

Jul 19, 2002
    Texas
    Guitar Center
    I just picked one of these up! I was a bass major at University of New Mexico, but haven't touched a doghouse in 30 years! So this thing, since I am prinarily an electric bass player, will suit my needs pretty well.

Question: The guy I bought it from is a Symphony bassist, and he had the action set really high. I lowered it, and it was much easier to play. But have I done wrong? Am I gonna screw something up that way?

8. The owner the action, the more it sounds like a bass guitar, but it doesn't have to be very high. Also depends on the strings.
    The Stagg bridge is bad because the string height is almost equal for all four strings but there should be more room for the lower strings and less for the upper ones. Maybe that has been changed by the previous owner. Setting the adjusters at different height blocks the adjustment, so the top of the bridge has to be fixed down towards th higher strings. Not nice for the black epoxy covered wood.

Reading the Stagg EUB megathread(s?) is a good idea. There is a lot that can/should be tweaked.