1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

does anyone play a 35'' 4 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassofbob, Mar 22, 2009.

1. bassofbob

bassofbob

Sep 15, 2007
    reston, va
    I would love to find one and see how it sounds. Im not really big on the feel of a 5 but I would really like to get something with a longer neck. We also tune to drop C and I notice that it gets a little "farty" when Im riding to C. Maybe having that extra length well help?

2. Wh4len

Wh4len

Sep 12, 2006
    Linkoping, Sweden
    I play a Warvick Vampyre Darklord. It's a 35" scale 4 string.
    I took the original strings off and replaced them with D'addario super longscale nickel round wounds. I really like the feel of a 35" 4 stringer. The strings have a lot of tension in every tuning.
    We have 2 songs in drop c tuning, i intonated the bass for DGCF tuning and i feel the C gets a little farty, and really boomy when i tune it to CGCF.

3. I had a Peavey G Bass. Between the carbon fiber neck and 35" scale, it was an awesome bass. I'd like to pick up another one to put a Darkstar pickup in :bassist:

4. why not get a lighter gauge 5 string set of strings and put that on your bass? its only a 1/2 step up from 5 string tuning, as opposed to 4 1/2steps down from standard 4 string tuning.

5. IF you play a lot of drop tunings I am assuming metal. Check out Dean. They make a couple 35 scale 4 bangers that look wicked and are a heck of a lot cheaper than a warwick! Also, the above post on strings is how I used to handle the drop tuning thing with my Modulus, but I after that bass I have used 35" fives for metal.

6. Check out a Peavey Cirrus. They're 35" (including the 4 string model) and are great instruments.

7. Modulus Quantum 4's have 35" scale. I have a quantum fretless 4 (see my avatar) and I installed a Hipshot detuner on the E string. I can tune it down to B and it still sounds and feels good.

8. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    My Spector Euro 4LX is a 35". It's designed to be used as a standard (EADG) or a Contra(BEAD). I've not used it in the lower tuning, but it sounds phenomenal in standard! I'd probably look at a used USA Cirrus...

9. honestjohnny

honestjohnny

Nov 24, 2006