Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does Linkin Park have a bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MacheteJames, Aug 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I usually tend to switch stations if I am listening to the radio and hear a Linkin Park song come on, but yesterday I decided to actually listen for once. My question is this: does the band have a bassist that actually plays on the album, or do they use keyboard bass or something? There don't seem to be real bass lines, per se, in their music, just root notes that you can barely make out under the guitar. So what's the deal?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea hes just so low in the mix you cant even hear him. Hes nothing special. Strums away whole notes on a Sterling or Stingray... you can hear him in their first CD, Hybrid Theory, in which he had some real basslines.

3. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    That's what happens when you get caught in the corporate meat grinder. "Turn this up and turn that down, or else".

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Does Linkin Park make music?

5. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I suppose it depends on your definition of the term. Do they emit sound? Sure. Are there notes, rhythms, and other terms usually refered to when descussing music. I suppose. Do they create art?

Not by my classification of the term. Not by a long shot.

6. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZING!!!

7. oversoul

oversoul fretless by fate

Feb 16, 2004
    Portugal
    Actually I believe their guitarist played basslines in the first record, the dude wasn't even in the group photo on the back cover and had no credits :eyebrow:

8. BlasphemyArise

BlasphemyArise

Jul 15, 2004
    Linkin Park is such a fake band, they rank right up there with Marilyn Manson and all the other pop culture bands/groups. What a waste of effort and money putting these people on perfectly good blank cd's. :rollno:

9. Heeheehee.... ;) :D

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Marylin Manson used to do some great work, but now he's too high on coke to realize his music has turned to crap. He's nowhere near as bad as Linkin Park. Linkin Park is N'Sync with guitars.

11. Yeah...I've seen 1 or 2 CD's of bands that have bassists,but they aren't present on the "written by: " section. It's sad...I mean,the guitarist(s) come up with the lines(Mainly roots) and thats why alot of stuff nowadays is easy and boring.

12. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    He's not much of a bassist, but he's a real nice guy. I met him YEARS ago when he was playing in a semi-local punk band, and he was very personable and condescending, and encouraged me to keep working on bass when I said I had just gotten one.

Linkin Park on the other hand.....uh....hmm.

13. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Condescending isn't positive though...

14. That's pretty hilarious and true too!

15. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Ehh, it was in this case. He was probably 20, I was 13? IME it's rare for us 20ish types to actually interract with young kids (not me of course), so it's somewhat positive i guess....besides, dictionarys don't know everything!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.