1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Does Modding a bass hurt its value?(Pickup & Bridge covers)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by FunkHead, Apr 1, 2013.

1. Do it It will look great

43 vote(s)
    66.2%
  2. Don't do it. It will lower the Value

22 vote(s)
    33.8%
  1. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I would like to add Pickup & Bridge covers to my '93 MIJ Reissue 1962 P-Bass. I never liked drilling even the slightest hole in a bass. In this case, the Bass has the holes in the Scratch plate for where the cover goes. The bass is already 20 years old and will be collectible some day. Will the cover(s) hurt its value?
    DSC00940.

2. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    Usually, yes. But being that its such a minor mod that is consistent with the bass design, no.

3. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Modding a bass from the 90s is not the same as modding a bass from the 60s.

DO IT!!!

BTW I would never put a pickup cover on my bass. They get in the way of my playing style. But it is your bass do what makes it better for you.

4. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    +1. The covers definitely get in the way. I have a few basses drilled for covers, but they only go on for pix.

5. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    The only cover I have used is a bridge never a pickup cover. The covers will add nothing to the re-sale of the bass if you do ever sell it FWIW.

6. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Modding an SX will increase it's value. Modding a 69 P bass will kill it's value. Both make the bass better. :)

With everything else it's hit or miss, and depends on the mod and who's buying it.

I had a late 60s early 70s telecaster guitar that I carved out and put a humbucker in btwn the 2 pickups. That's me at age 20, by the way. :)

scan0001-1.

7. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yes, install them...I am completely biased but I don't care, they look freakin awesome :bassist:

8. dinsdal3

dinsdal3

Apr 10, 2009
    Tucson, Arizona
    i am the same way. i put bridge and pickup covers on my bass and LOVED the way it looked, but took them off roughly 2 weeks after i put em on. man do they look good in pictures tho. :D

9. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    Ask yourself, "Is it reversible?"

If the answer is yes, then there will be no effect on value.

If the answer is no, then there will be a negative effect on value.

N.B. If you make an irreversible change and sell it to someone who likes the modification, you may come out ahead. That person will not be a collector, a dealer, or anyone else in the know.

10. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    Thanks for all the replies. I can get some covers and take the pic's without drilling holes so the potential buyer knows what it "could" look like. I personally would shy away from something modded but I wasn't sure with the little screw holes.

11. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Its not going to increase in value very much either way. If you want to, do it. I did it to mine and it doesnt affect my playing at all. But then again, I don't slappa da bays.

12. Rockin Mike

Rockin Mike

May 27, 2011
    Resale value only matters if you ever sell it.
    Even if the modification doesn't "officially" lower the resale value, a buyer in your living room will use it as an excuse to talk the price down.

I wouldn't do it unless I was sure I was going to keep the bass forever, and even if it was already 20 years down the road to being a collectible, I would probably leave it alone.

13. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Nice photo! Fender, Peavey, Budweiser, Marlboro's and 8-track tape - - - how many of those are you still into??? ;)

14. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I go half-way and only do the pup covers, and not the ashtrays.

Looks slick, but doesn't muck up palm-muting, and they are a good thumb-anchor for fingerstyle (unless you're a fancy-pants floating thumb dude). ;)

I'm having a brushed-stainless steel one made for a new J build....I want it all muted and not-chromey, but with that visual cue.

15. Billy K

Billy K

Nov 5, 2009
    North Bay Marin
    I modded a Squier P and traded it straight across for a Lakland 55-01 . He played it about one min and said do you want to see this bass?.Or trade for my Lakland. I put Nordstrand pickups,Babicz bridge,hipshot black tuners and I did the fret level myself.Custom Blue pearl pickguard. it was a nice bass.The name did not seem to matter to this guy he liked the sound,looks and the neck.

16. preside

preside

Aug 7, 2010
    Scottsdale Az
    I mean no disrespect but do MIJ's really become collectiable? Does one even need to worry about that?

17. bumperbass

bumperbass Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2012
    I wouldn't worry about it if there's already holes in the pickguard. Do it if you want to.

18. FunkHead

Mar 10, 2007
    There's many people that have a bunch of the MIJ's. I don't know if that makes them a good investment perse but there's a lot of love for MIJ Fenders.

19. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    If you plan on selling it some day I say no. If its a bass you don't want to sell and plan on keeping, mod away.

Of my 3 basses, my first bass will stay stock because of fond memories, my second bass has been modded because it is forever mine and my third has reversible mods because I like the changes but selling it won't bother me.

20. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If the hole wasn't drilled, it's not consistent with the bass design, regardless of the pickguard holes. So no, I wouldn't do it, and yes, I would expect to pay less if someone did.