Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does Sadowsky Sell Pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bass_drum, Jul 30, 2005.

1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Hey! I'm wondering if sadowsky will sell a 5 string pstyle pickup to me. If so, what other companies sell 5 string pstyle pickups besides emg and sadowsky?

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Yes, Sadowsky sells pickups.

3. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

4. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    IIRC I heard that thier jazz pickups were practically the same pickup as the Dimarizio ultra jazz but with a few more turns on them. correct me if I'm wrong please

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The Sadowsky humcancelling J's are made by Dimarzio to Roger's specifications. I don't know about the single coils.

I prefer the Sadowsky humcancalling J's to the DM Ultra Jazz. They're in the same ballpark tonally but the UJ's are more scooped sounding - I found the Sadowsky's cut through more

6. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Believe Dimarzio makes the true single coils as well.

7. full_bleed

full_bleed

May 27, 2005
    Arizona
    Not to hijack this thread but I've considering replacing the pickups in my Warwick Thumb 4 bolt on and I was wondering which you guys might suggest for their replacement, the Sadowsky's or the Ultra Jazz. the thing that I don't like about the mec's is that they sound thin and planky, is the description I can give, when I pop and also when I really attack the D and G string.

8. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

May 25, 2003
    Studio City+Redlands, CA
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - Genzler Amplification - Sadowsky - Dunlops Strings - DR Strings
  9. IMO the Sadowsky single coils I have used (five string bass - still use them) are punchy, warm but definitely have a more "modern" definition to them than vintage style pups do. I have also used his 4 string PJ set. The J is a tweaked DiMarzio and I think the P might be too. But the P has a much richer texture than the DiMarzio model P, though still more definiton than vintage P style.