1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does skill = your bass??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Grizzly700, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    Ok, I have been playing bass for 2 years and have what I would call a mid-quality bass, a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz. My friend that plays guitar has been playing for nearly 5 years and only has a very cheap Dean Vendetta. He gets angry with me because I have better equipment like my Ampeg amp and says that I shouldn't have that because I haven't been playing long enough. I bought this stuff because I worked for it and can afford it, but he is from a lower middle-class family and probably can't afford it. We are still in high school and he says I am too young and haven't been playing long enough. Am I right for saying you should buy the best that you can afford? We actually have gotten in fights over this because he just won't leave it alone and he is extremely jealous I guess.....

:meh::confused::crying:

PS- His lack of equipment has stopped us from doing gigs that we could have. Should I drop him and find a new guitarist? We are really good friendsuntil we get to practice.

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    He needs to grow up.

3. There's nothing you can do about what he feels. If you worked and bought it with your earnings, that's your business. If you are getting into fistfights about it, I suggest you discontinue your association with him.

4. First of all, his comments are all jealousy, if you paid for your gear by having a job, it's yours and you deserve it.

with skill and instrument quality, I think that, like a lot of things in life, it matters only for the first impression. When you see someone walking on stage with a Fodera for example, you expect a good sound and good playing.

Like I said, that is before you play a note. If you have a Squier but you sound damn good and show talent in your playing no one on the audience will call you a begginer and the critics will probably shut up.

5. you could try to find a new guitarist...but guitarists are rare!!! lol jk

6. Oh wow, another guitarist with insecurity issues......:rolleyes:

7. bobbybass85

bobbybass85

Dec 19, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    Agreed, I've played in bands with guys who have what I would call inferior gear while I play with great gigging equipment. No biggie.

I, like you, worked my butt off to buy my equipment and I'm proud of it. I LOVE to play, and if anyone loves their musical instrument why should they have to limit themselves to sub-quality equipment??

Here's how I look at nice gear, it teaches you more about the instrument. You learn how to responsibly take care of the equipment and to respect other's equipment.

You also learn more about the possibilities you have with good equipment. It's hard to get excited about an instrument when you have equipment that sounds terrible.

Just my opinion

8. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    Uhhhh huhhhh.

I'd give your friend a swift kick to the... well... somewhere. That's just stupid.

9. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    just tell him the three words that many guitarists hate more than anything:

"Get a Job"

10. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I started out almost the same exact way, only my friend was just kidding and he made sure I knew it. 25 years later, we're still jamming and I still have better gear than he does :D

Anyway, if he's a good friend, then talk to him about how his attitude and lack of gear are affecting your band. If he changes, then great; if not, get another guitarist.

11. If you are good friends and gel musically outside of your conflict with gear, then I would suggest that you work it out. Not suggesting that you change your gear, but some encouragement to the gui**** and perhaps helping him find what he needs/wants and can afford.
    I find too many musicians who are quick to dump someone because of in many cases trivial issues. Yes, you can probably find another gui****, but will this person be as good for you and the group then the one you just booted?
    My take on a band situation is very much like a team situation. Individuals make up the team, but the team is only as strong as the individuals on it. And finding another musician that thinks like you, musically, can be a real crap shoot!
    The grass is not always greener on the other side.
    fishheadjoe

12. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    He would only be right if you were unappreciative of your gear (regardless of cost). And I am sure this is not the issue here.

IMHO It's by far better to have equipment that allows you to grow rather than having equipment that limits your growth. My .02

13. RayO5421

RayO5421

Jan 15, 2007
    Toms River NJ
    Thats kinda low. I mean, I've run into great deals and have some pretty good equpiment for my age and playing time but noone has ever said anything to me about it. It sucks that he cannot afford good gear for his skill but when he bashes you for being able to work and buy stuff that you obviously enjoy using thats not being friendly, does he expect you to buy stuff for him?

Look at some rock stars or guys in touring bands with great gear and then watch a guy on youtube sweep and slap on a cheapo bass. Its all what you can afford and where you put your values.

14. PhilRitter21

PhilRitter21

Apr 23, 2007
    Toledo Ohio
    I have run into similar predicaments. I play at a local megachurch where people from all situations play. I sometimes feel self conscious when I come to practice with a different bass every time. I have a Stingray, Sterling, a Rick, 2 American Deluxe Fenders, and a Geddy Lee Jazz; and I use them all from week to week. While the other bass players have one $350 Ibanez or a Mexican Fender. I was even called out once because of my tendency to buy upperscale equipment. I only tinker around on guitar, but decided I should have one around the house. So I bought a beautiful Special edition Koa Strat and brought it in to show my friends there. Well, one person was like "Thats nicer than most of our guitars... I thought you didnt even play...?"

15. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Sep 9, 2006
    Oh wow I know a guitarist exactly like that...and he plays the exact same guitar...

16. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN

That is a simliar situation to me because I recently bought a Schecter C-1 Classic and I don't even play guitar that much. I like using it to mess round with and I could afford it so I said why not? He is mad for that too. I think it is a shame for us to feel bad for having good equipment.

17. Frankly it's none of his business what gear you have unless it negatively affects the sound you guys are trying to achieve. Sounds like plain jealousy to me if you want good gear and work hard to get it why shouldn't you... I do...

18. it see it both ways, cos some people have all this amazing gear but don't use it to it's full potential, (i'm not implying that's you or anybody on these boards btw) which can be annoying to those of us who can't afford it, but i think that's just jealousy on my part...

if you worked for it, you have every right to it, and nobody can tell you any different. i earned every penny i spent on my gear and i'm immensely proud of it!

why not gently imply to said gui**** that if he chose to work as you have then he could have this kinda quality gear too? although if he does work out of neccessity to pay for other, more basic stuff this may not be the best idea... don't let gear and dumb jealousies ruin a good thing, sharing a band with your best friends is the best feeling in the world. good luck!

19. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    F*** 'em, if you can afford it, want it and appriciate it, you should have any axe you want.

20. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    Don't think I can really add much to whats already been said. I think its all correct. The guitarist needs to get with it and stop envying other peoples stuff and work on his own playing.

And for what its worth, I wouldn't consider a Geddy Jazz 'mid quality' :p Ive never touched one but if they play half as good as they look..wow and Ive read nothing but great stuff about them. ^_^