1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Does the VT add clanking?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Chrisk-K, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    I got mine 2 days ago. When the character knob is set higher than 12 o'clock, the VT adds highs and causes noticeable fret clanking noise a la Steve Harris's tone. Even with the High knob turned all the way down, the added highs are pronounced if the Mid knob is set beyond 12 o'clock. In other words, to get a smooth tone, I have to turn down the tone knob of my basses.

I never played a real SVT, so is this how the SVT behaves?

2. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I get a clanky tone with my VT too that I have a hard time getting rid of. Ive tried tons of settings and I usually end up with a metallic sounding tone. Ive played through real SVT's and IMO, its not the tone I got when playing through them.

3. the vt pedal might be the touchiest pedal ive ever worked with.
    its just minute touches to make changes.

4. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    So, I'm not alone. The clanking happens with all my 4 basses. I've tried a ton of settings in conjunction with my M13 and the clankly, metallic element is always there. Maybe, it'll go back to the store.

5. recreate.me

recreate.me

Apr 2, 2010
    Ontario
    Whats wrong with turning down the tone knob on the bass? Or adjusting your EQ?

Its worth it to get a great sound right ?

6. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Yeah, the sansamps, VT too, are clank monsters. They add massive annoying treble content totally unlike every Ampeg I've ever played. Tone wide open into an Ampeg sounds good, tone wide open into a sansamp not so much. My verdict is the VT and especially the BDDI and PBDDI sound absolutely nothing like Ampeg amps.

7. It's the character knob that does it. You don't need the character knob that cranked to get the tube sound. Just a touch really. I keep mine around 9'o'clock or so.

8. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    It's a problem when I switch between finger picking and slapping. Sure, I programmed an EQ setting on my M13 to further cut the highs for slapping only. To play a song like Jamiroquai's "Travelling Without Moving," I have to constantly tap dance to activate and deactive the EQ.

9. Glad you brought this up. I got mine yesterday. Yes, fretboard "clank" is very pronounced, esp using the fliptop setting (char knob at 12 o'clock), more so when using headphones but not so obvious when playing thru my amp.
    When using that "Ampeg B15" setting, I turn my bass' tone control down for a Motown vibe and it decreases that noise. It makes my amp sound huge, though.
    I used a Line 6 combo, toneport gx, as well as a pod before and didn't experience this clank.

This is actually my 2nd VT bass unit, wasn't able to play around with the 1st one much and had to sell it 'cause I needed the money. I also experienced it with the 1st so I don't think this is a defect of any kind. Try turning those knobs a little: boost bass,cut highs and mids a little and it might go away.

10. ishouldbeking

ishouldbeking

Feb 5, 2007
    Hollywood, CA
    Endorsing: SIT, Eastwood, Hanson
    If you're finding it too clanky, there are a few things that can be the cause (and its easy to cure): the character knob, as someone suggested, does not need to be very high to give you a good amount of SVT tone. The higher you go, its essentially adding high mids which are then applied to the gain stage (or something like that, someone explained it once and that's what i took from it, YMMV) which results in added harmonic content. In some cases that can mean clank, particularly when its set high. Also: the treble knob is BOOST ONLY. A TB'er did some heavy duty testing to find the flat points and found the treble knob is flat when completely rolled down. So setting the treble knob to noon is more like the "flat" setting on an SVT with the ultra-hi switch engaged, which adds a big treble boost. Learning to use the settings properly will get you where you want to go with this thing. Trust me, I play a Rick with a pick; if I couldn't tame the clank I wouldn't be using this thing.

11. MOTORHEADBANGER

MOTORHEADBANGER Spud-boy looking for a real tomato

Dec 23, 2008
    Sidney, Indiana
    This is suppose to happen. If you want a smooth vintage SVT sound leave the character knob at about 9:00 or so, and then use the drive knob and your volume knob to adjust the amount of gain and the characteristics of it. Having the character knob close to noon the pedal adds that signature "clank" that many attribute to Steve Harris and similar players. If you turn it further the amount of gain and distortion becomes full bore. I found this setting very good for that Lemmy MOTORHEAD tone.

If you don't want the "clank", don't set your VT's character pedal at noon or past that. Slowly turn the dial down from noon until you get the tone you want without the clank. It is a terrific tool, you just have to be patient and learn its personality.

12. Very useful piece of info, I was wondering about that.Thanks!

13. It will add "clank" etc with the mid high, treble High or the Character knob up much past 12 oclock! Just dont push it past that!! Seems pretty simple to me. I rarely have ANY of the EQ knobs on it past about 11 oclock-usually Bass-11, treb- 10.30, mid between 9-11. Character- between 9-12, drive- between 11- 1 oclock.

& I CAN actually get the VT bass pedal to sound virtually IDENTICAL to both my SVTII & my previously owned V4BH. So it DOES & can easily sound SO close to a real Ampeg if U so desire. I would sometimes adjust it to sound almost exactly like the 'un-effected' amp, but with a bit of drive (or some other slight difference) & use it when needed for a slight change of tone.
    using it with a LMII amp for example- it adds a LOTTA life (IMO) to a great sounding, but pretty 'neutral' sounding amp. I'd use it to add some tube 'fur' etc... to the LMII

jasper383 likes this.
  14. I get a nice gritty sound on my VT when I put my Low at 1:00, Mid at 1:00, Character at 1:00, High at 10:00, Drive at 11:00 and just set the Level to taste.

I get a clank as well, but in a band setting it's not noticeable.

15. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Odd... I've been playing one of these for months and have never noticed "Clanking" - - the main thing I noticed is that it is a *freakin'* hot pedal... What is the point of making it so hot...?

16. Buchada Azeda

Buchada Azeda

Mar 25, 2009
    Brazil

Driving a PA.

17. Chrisk-K

Chrisk-K

Jan 20, 2010
    Maryland, USA
    This is very helpful information. I couldn't understand why the supposedly neutral 12 o'clock setting added so much treble!

18. The pedal is not designed to emulate an SVT with the character past 12:00. Stick with the character at around 9 or so for SVT-ness. The character knob affects mids a great deal. When you start cranking it up, you should lower the mids accordingly. I use my pedal with the Character at 3:00 and the mids at 9:00. I keep the drive at 10:00-11:00, depending on how much of an output the bass has. I like it where it is mostly clean when I play gently but where it roars when I dig in. I usually keep the lows and highs at noon, unless I am using a pickup combination that kills some lows, in which case I'll boost the lows a bit. If I am using my active Yamaha bass, I have to watch my drive level and dial back the highs a tiny bit to 11:30 or so. If I use a bass with flatwounds I like to boost the highs a tiny bit and have the drive a little higher than normal.

19. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    This is good info and perhaps may be why I get the clank. Ill look up the thread you mention. I got the VT for a tube-dirt tone, but I also have a DHA VT1-MK3 overdrive pedal, and so far the DHA sounds alot better (IMO).

Ok I just searched and I cant find the VT EQ thread, can anyone link to it here?

20. There is a very simple answer to all of this people. It's called DYNAMICS!
    The thing I love about this pedal is it responds to your dynamics. If you haven't learned to master your dynamics, I can see why this pedal may be a little frustrating. Want to get rid of the clankyness? Just ease your touch to round out the sound.:bassist: