Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Does this exist? (360 fuzz)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by prismacolor2, Jul 26, 2004.

1. prismacolor2

prismacolor2

Nov 6, 2003
    Boston
    I recently checked out an old Acoustic 360 and i LOVE the fuzz circuitry.

Has anyone ever cloned the exact fuzz circuit from the 360?

I know there is a 360 preamp pedal (viva analog) but I'm only interested in the fuzz part - not the pre. (great amps but I have a lot of great amps). Would the fuzz sound completely different without the 360 pre?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    If you look at moosapotamus.com, you'll see where he put together his version of the Viva Analog pedal which also has the fuzz.

There's no pedal I know of that has JUST the fuzz

3. prismacolor2

prismacolor2

Nov 6, 2003
    Boston
    David

Thanks for the link. Very cool site. I tried to contact him but his contact link wouldn't open for me in my Outlook express. I just really dug that particular fuzz. The 360 also has that groovy tuning frquency thing too. Fun to make mad scientist/shortwave radio sounds with in practice. LOL

Could someone locate the schematic and build one for me? Does anyone here think it's possible that it would sound good without the pre section or is the pre integral to the fuzz?

Questions for me to ponder. Wish I could afford the real deal 360 amp (if I could even find one).

4. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    No, but you can find the original schematic here: http://www.acoustic360.com/schematics.html

The fuzz circuit is at the top right of page B. All part values (including transistor types) are clearly labelled.

Well, the sound will be different, although the basic character of the fuzz will probably be identifiable. The fuzz circuit feeds directly off the first preamp stage (top left of page A). The reed relay switches the fuzz in and out. When it's in, the first preamp stage feeds the fuzz circuit, and the output of that returns back into the second preamp stage. Further tone shaping occurs in the second and subsequent stages. The first stage does only "minimal" tone shaping. You can probably replace the second and subsequent stages with an equalizer.

5. prismacolor2

prismacolor2

Nov 6, 2003
    Boston
    Thanks for all the help and advice I'm electronically challenged so I won't be building one myself anytime soon. The advice I've received suggests that the 360, as a whole, is really what I need to get the sound I've become obsessed with. I should probably wait until the stars/my wallet allign and I find an actual 360 someday. Sorry for the trouble.

6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA